PDA

View Full Version : Waxing non skid

Markm
07-25-2014, 01:01 AM
So what is the real truth on waxing decks and the non skid on gunnels (sp).

A competitor on SS TV says you can polish and seal with a synthetic sealer/wax and a medium or soft brush mounted in a random orbital polisher. I have tried woody wax and did not get good results. The surfaces stain and look bad.

Mark

professionalpolishing
07-25-2014, 06:44 AM
first of all before you can wax all the oxidation needs to be removed.

Markm
07-25-2014, 10:31 PM
first of all before you can wax all the oxidation needs to be removed.
Yea, I plan on doing a test tomorrow to see if I can improve the look. Will use a pretty aggressive compound to cut through the oxidation. The pattern is not very deep.

Nick
07-26-2014, 10:42 AM
So what is the real truth on waxing decks and the non skid on gunnels (sp).

A competitor on SS TV says you can polish and seal with a synthetic sealer/wax and a medium or soft brush mounted in a random orbital polisher. I have tried woody wax and did not get good results. The surfaces stain and look bad.

Mark

Technically you CAN wax non-skid, however the method you described is a laborious, messy job that can easily be avoided by using Marine 31 Non-Skid Clear Sealant with Carnauba (http://www.marine31.com/marine-31-non-skid-boat-wax.html).

We developed this product to make caring for your boat's non-skid surfaces quick AND easy. Since its introduction it has become one of our most popular products and for good reason - there's nothing out there that's as quick or easy to use.

Spray, wipe, buff, and you're done.

Before applying make sure the surface is clean and free of oxidation.

:thumb:

Markm
07-26-2014, 04:16 PM
Technically you CAN wax non-skid, however the method you described is a laborious, messy job that can easily be avoided by using Marine 31 Non-Skid Clear Sealant with Carnauba (http://www.marine31.com/marine-31-non-skid-boat-wax.html).

We developed this product to make caring for your boat's non-skid surfaces quick AND easy. Since its introduction it has become one of our most popular products and for good reason - there's nothing out there that's as quick or easy to use.

Spray, wipe, buff, and you're done.

Before applying make sure the surface is clean and free of oxidation.

:thumb:Good to know, I'll order some when I place my order

Mike Phillips
07-28-2014, 12:30 PM
Just to add....

Like said, sealing non-skid starts with getting the entire surface of the non-skid clean and that's the tricky part because of the grid style textured surface.

Most people that know me in the automotive world no I do everything I can by machine for a host of reasons. In the marine world I'm the same way. If I can do a job by machine I'll do it versus working by hand and this holds true for cleaning non-skid.

Cyclo makes a variety of brushes for their Cyclo polisher that will also attach to the Porter Cable style dual action polishers and these brush work GREAT for really getting the non-skid clean by machine.

Check out this thread as it has a bunch of pictures showing these brushes in action.

Ship Shape TV - Cleaning non-skid surfaces by machine with Marine 31 Port to Starboard APC (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17)

For what it's worth, I just used the white Cyclo brush with an all purpose cleaner to scrub clean the non-skid floor in both our shower stalls at home.

Even took some before and after pictures.

:)

Markm
07-28-2014, 02:54 PM
I had a portion in the rear deck of the boat that was stained yellow and looking pretty bad. I used a strong acid based cleaner to remove the stain and used an aggressive cutting compound with a micro fiber cloth to remove the oxidation. I then sealed it with a synthetic sealer. It looks great but is somewhat slippery with bare feet but with rubber soled boat sneakers it is fine. I placed an order today and have a gallon of the wax that Nick recommended. I'll use it on the other side and compare the results. I tend to be rather anal on the way my boat looks. Sometimes I'm jealous when I see a beater boat because you can enjoy them without stressing on getting them clean and pretty!

Mark