PDA

View Full Version : Detailing Outside

Dapper Don
06-16-2015, 06:06 PM
What are some of your workarounds for detailing a boat outside?

Addicted2Bling
06-17-2015, 11:45 PM
What do you mean?

Dapper Don
06-18-2015, 08:23 AM
I have seen some guys at the marina with portable canopies and other shade making devices/contraptions to get as much shade as possible over a larger boat while they are working on it to beat this 95+ degree heat in Florida.

Addicted2Bling
06-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Most of the waxes and compounds will still work out in the sun, and a lot of companies make them to be this way. I noticed some products on the Marine31 line are very wet and not so gooey, which is very helpful out in the sun. I've also found that having a spraybottle with water is handy for pads, but it lessens the effectiveness of the product and makes more sling.

Dapper Don
06-19-2015, 09:42 AM
That was something else I was going to ask. I was not sure that these Marine 31 products were to be used in direct sunlight and heat.

Addicted2Bling
06-21-2015, 08:51 AM
Yeah most detailing companies make them that way. Not everyone has a garage big enough to shelter a boat, or the luxury of keeping it in a storage.

Mike Phillips
06-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Great question....

Couple of tips.... not perfect tips but sometimes all you can do is all you can do....

Start early. As early as you can. Beat the rising of the sun.

Work after the sun starts to go down in the sky. Like around 5:00pm and later. The golden hours. Not a lot cooler but a lot less harsh than working at noon.

Work on the shade side when there's a shade side.

Wear a long sleeved shirt and a sun hat.

Drink lots of liquids. Stay hydrated.

Work smaller sections. This is real helpful when doing any compounding or polishing work.

:)