PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline Stains On A Colored Hull

Dapper Don
07-31-2015, 12:55 PM
Mike,

So my best friend/neighbor has a 34' Donzi with a blue hull (magnificent boat BTW) and has a nasty bit of fuel staining down the hull. Is there anything in your bag of tricks that can help get that out?

Mike Phillips
07-31-2015, 01:41 PM
Defects are either topical, that is on the surface or sub-surface, that is they have penetrated into the material.

With gas stains they tend to have penetrated into the gel-coat so the remedy is simply compound the affected area till you remove enough material to remove the stain.

In really bad situations you can sand first.

:)

Dapper Don
07-31-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks Mike! Will the Marine 31 Captains One Step work or will I need something with a little more cut?

Mike Phillips
07-31-2015, 01:55 PM
Thanks Mike! Will the Marine 31 Captains One Step work or will I need something with a little more cut?

Captain's One Step Compound & Polish should get it with a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

If not you can either sand and then use the Captain's compound or use a more aggressive compound.

The thing about more aggressive compounds is they won't finish out as nice as the Captain's compound.

I try to do everything with the Captain's Compound and I strongly recommend it in my new boat detailing book all the way through all the chapters and the product of choice for compounding.

:)

Dapper Don
07-31-2015, 02:09 PM
That is why I asked specifically about that product. I am just finishing up my 280 Sea Ray and there is magic in that black bottle. I have used nothing but my GG 6" and GG 3" with orange Buff N Shine pads and I cannot believe what I am seeing. I just bought a HF rotary with some backing plates and extensions as well as some cutting pads. So I will give this a shot and see how it works.

Mike Phillips
07-31-2015, 02:15 PM
The true test of any surface care product is black.

If it works to make black look great it will work to make any color look great.

:thumb: