PDA

View Full Version : What order to do detailing steps

Shtexas
06-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Hey guys,

I posted up some before pictures of the project I'm doing next week on my Sea Ray. I had a question on the order I should do some things.

My first question is, should I polish up all the metal using the brightening soap before starting my compounding work; or should I do it before waxing after compounding; or as the last step? I wonder because of the residue that the metal soap leaves.

My second question is similar to the first but with the starbrite deck cleaner. Being that I can't polish and wax the non skid on the deck for obvious reasons, I plan on cleaning it with the startbrite like I usually do. I'm worried that as it drains over the sides that it would strip wax off. Should I use it first before even compounding?

Any information is greatly appreciated. :drown:

Thanks,
Seb

Mike Phillips
06-06-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey guys,

I posted up some before pictures of the project I'm doing next week on my Sea Ray. I had a question on the order I should do some things.

My first question is, should I polish up all the metal using the brightening soap before starting my compounding work; or should I do it before waxing after compounding; or as the last step? I wonder because of the residue that the metal soap leaves.

Do the metal polishing at the same time you wash the boat. Polish the metal first and then wash the boat, this way you kill two birds with one stone.

If you have non-skid surfaces to clean, clean these after polishing the metal and then wash the boat, you'll wash away all the metal polishing residue and any cleaners and dirt from cleaning the non-skid surfaces. Then finish out by washing the boat from the highest portions first working down.

My second question is similar to the first but with the starbrite deck cleaner. Being that I can't polish and wax the non skid on the deck for obvious reasons, I plan on cleaning it with the startbrite like I usually do. I'm worried that as it drains over the sides that it would strip wax off. Should I use it first before even compounding?

See the answer I posted above...

:thumb:

Shtexas
06-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Do the metal polishing at the same time you wash the boat. Polish the metal first and then wash the boat, this way you kill two birds with one stone.

If you have non-skid surfaces to clean, clean these after polishing the metal and then wash the boat, you'll wash away all the metal polishing residue and any cleaners and dirt from cleaning the non-skid surfaces. Then finish out by washing the boat from the highest portions first working down.

:thumb:

That makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up. I was trying to make a list of the order I should do things in to be most effective with my time.