Marine 31 Forum

Marine 31 Forum (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduction Forum (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hello from Michigan and Which Wool Pads (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327)

Donald J 04-27-2017 06:35 PM

Hello from Michigan and Which Wool Pads
 
On polishing pontoons ( new ) to a mirror finish which wool pads are recommended? I have an old 3M Buffer and their selection is pretty vast.


Next question on sanding, after finishing the last damp sanding 4000 grit disc do is it better to wash immediately ( after sanding the smaller area 2 x 2 as an example ) or wait until the entire log is sanded.?

And I see that in Mikes Book on page 101 I have an option of cleaning or discarding. I don't have any money trees so I would rather have these wool pads dedicated to just pontoon polishing after a thorough cleaning.

What are your thoughts ?

thanks

Anyone have a used Flex 3401 for sale let me know.


:)

Mike Phillips 05-01-2017 10:06 AM

Re: Hello from Michigan and Which Wool Pads
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald J (Post 1453)

On polishing pontoons ( new ) to a mirror finish which wool pads are recommended? I have an old 3M Buffer and their selection is pretty vast.

Most any wool pad will work the aluminum up to a mirror shine.

The problem is if you try to finish with only a rotary buffer and a wool pad you're going to have holograms in the aluminum.

These wool pads are smaller in diameter and that makes it easier on you to control them.

6.5 inch 50/50 Wool Acrylic Polishing Pad




Be sure to have a steel spur and clean your pads OFTEN.

Everything about buffing with a rotary buffer is easier when you clean your pads often.

Lake Country Wool Pad Spur




Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald J (Post 1453)

Next question on sanding, after finishing the last damp sanding 4000 grit disc do is it better to wash immediately ( after sanding the smaller area 2 x 2 as an example ) or wait until the entire log is sanded.?

Wait and wash the entire pontoon at one time. The sanding slurry may dry but it will liquefy and wash off with any soap and water mixture.

Saves you time to wash all at once.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald J (Post 1453)

And I see that in Mikes Book on page 101 I have an option of cleaning or discarding.

I don't have any money trees so I would rather have these wool pads dedicated to just pontoon polishing after a thorough cleaning.

What are your thoughts ?

Keep it and dedicated it for aluminum polishing.

The pad is going to become gross with aluminum and polish residue.

You could get a pad cleaner and clean it by working in the pad cleaner and then rinsing under running water in a utility sink but it's going to be messy.

The pad I shared above is $10.00 and I could easily invest $10.00 of my time to try to get it clean and never get it as clean as I would want or I could replace for another $10.00 bill.

Your call.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald J (Post 1453)

Anyone have a used Flex 3401 for sale let me know.

:)


Just to comment on this....

I RARELY see a FLEX 3401 for sale used. Rarely.

When I do see one go up for sale - down the road I see the same guy that sold it regret it and then buy another one.


That's a testimony to the quality and functionality of the tool.


:)

Donald J 05-01-2017 08:13 PM

Re: Hello from Michigan and Which Wool Pads
 
These are new logs customer wants to polish the logs only (40 ft ) to a mirror finish. I have all the discs Mike and just want to confirm the sequence:
1. Pontoon and Aluminum Cleaner on a DA Rotary,
2. Cyclo Polisher but which foam pads ?And which Marine 31 product ?
3. Sealer Marine 31 Pontoon Sealant on a DA ( what speeds )

Thanks
Ill order as soon as I get your reply.
Thanks again

Donald J 05-05-2017 06:45 PM

Pontoons to a Mirror Finish
 
More Marine 31 due to arrive tomorrow.
Question: As I sand up through 4000 or 5000 as noted in "The Book" do I power wash between each step ?
Same question for buffing. The filthy aluminum just clings to the 50/50 buffing pads and suspect it will do the same with my new Cyclo and pads.
The beast of polishing aluminum is more than challenging. Possibly no way to polish without the pads being destroyed. So my question remains do I need to power wash in between each step. ?

Mike Phillips 01-31-2018 04:37 PM

Re: Pontoons to a Mirror Finish
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald J (Post 1464)

More Marine 31 due to arrive tomorrow.

Question: As I sand up through 4000 or 5000 as noted in "The Book" do I power wash between each step ?

You can, but you'll need some type of cleaner/soap to help cut through the oily film on the surface as water pressure alone may not cut it.

I don't - I just use a lot of low-end utility microfiber towels and wipe the residue off as I move around the boat.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald J (Post 1464)

Same question for buffing.

The filthy aluminum just clings to the 50/50 buffing pads and suspect it will do the same with my new Cyclo and pads.

The beast of polishing aluminum is more than challenging.

Possibly no way to polish without the pads being destroyed.

So my question remains do I need to power wash in between each step. ?

I don't use power washers much for a number of reasons but if I had a good one and it was easy to get it out, hook it up and use it I would.

Do you have one?


:)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.