Marine 31 Forum

Marine 31 Forum (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boat Detailing 101 (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Captains boat coating question (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284)

slider67 10-06-2015 12:11 PM

Captains boat coating question

coming from using poly glo and having to strip all that off due to the sun seeming like it loosened it up then would trap the dirt, is this coating like that, right now im using the carnauba wax plus sealant, but there are areas of the boat that tend to get more spider poop than others which im using the detail spray on,

basically when someone says coating (cause im challenged when it comes to wax and coatings) i tend to get scared do to using poly glo, might work for some but not me.

how long does the carnuba wax plus sealant last vs the coating
during the summer i have to wash the boat every week due to dust and spiders which is a 4 hour job in its self

just dont wanna have to wax a 50ft boat once a month, 2 to 3 times a year wouldnt be to bad

Thanks
Tim

Mike Phillips 10-06-2015 12:33 PM

Re: Captains boat coating question

Our coating is NOTHING like Poly Coat.

The key to using a "real" coating is in the prep work. After any buffing work is done you have to strip off any leftover polishing oils and other substances used in compounds and polishes so the surface is completely clean so the coating can form a proper bond.

My preference and what I show in my boat detailing classes is a product in the BLACKFIRE line called BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Prep. It works great and smells good to. (most product smell horrible and not all product work great)

Then after you prep the surface you apply the coating to small sections at a time and within a minute give the section a wipe so you don't leave any high spots. (think streaks).

Once it dries it lasts up to 2 years.

Check out this thread from my buddy Andy....

Marine 31 Captain's Boat Coating

:thumb:

Mike Phillips 10-06-2015 12:35 PM

We'll be teaching how to prep and apply Captain's Coating in this class coming up real quick in February.

Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - Saturday February 6th, 2016

I always have a medium to dark to black colored gel-coat boat for my classes and the reason why is because the true test of any products, tools and even the Instructor is a black finish.

slider67 10-06-2015 01:26 PM

Thanks Mr Phillips, would love to get to a class but 1800 miles is a long way lol

davepjr71 05-06-2016 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 (Post 1259)
Our coating is NOTHING like Poly Coat.

The key to using a "real" coating is in the prep work. After any buffing work is done you have to strip off any leftover polishing oils and other substances used in compounds and polishes so the surface is completely clean so the coating can form a proper bond.

My preference and what I show in my boat detailing classes is a product in the BLACKFIRE line called BLACKFIRE Crystal Coat Paint Prep. It works great and smells good to. (most product smell horrible and not all product work great)

Then after you prep the surface you apply the coating to small sections at a time and within a minute give the section a wipe so you don't leave any high spots. (think streaks).

Once it dries it lasts up to 2 years.

Check out this thread from my buddy Andy....

Marine 31 Captain's Boat Coating

When applied is the product supposed to be about the thickness of nail polish on the surface or maybe a little thinner? or is it applied and excess wiped off? I tried a small sport and after it dried I scratched some of the coating off with my fingernail. Should I be able to do that or was it on too thick or I didn't apply correctly?

Nick 05-12-2016 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepjr71 (Post 1372)
When applied is the product supposed to be about the thickness of nail polish on the surface or maybe a little thinner? or is it applied and excess wiped off? I tried a small sport and after it dried I scratched some of the coating off with my fingernail. Should I be able to do that or was it on too thick or I didn't apply correctly?

You shouldn't be able to scratch anything. Apply it SPARINGLY working in small sections, then remove any excess.

davepjr71 05-23-2016 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick@Marine31 (Post 1375)
You shouldn't be able to scratch anything. Apply it SPARINGLY working in small sections, then remove any excess.

Ok, so the coating is very similar to say Black Diamond but you don't let it sit or buff off? Basically, at the end it's a super thin film bonded to the surface. Thank you.