Marine 31 Forum

Marine 31 Forum (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/index.php)
-   Compounds, Polishes and Waxes (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Captain's Boat Coating application and removal (http://www.marine31online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306)

K-Dawg 04-11-2016 04:20 PM

Captain's Boat Coating application and removal

What's the best way to apply and then remove Captain's Boat Coating?

I tried using a LC Coating Applicator like the website suggests, waiting a minute, then wiping off with a microfiber towel, but the coating is very difficult to remove.

I think I was making the coating too thick. I'll try to leave a thinner coating. The working time of the product seemed very short and didn't allow me to spread it out evenly on the section I was working.

How much should I be putting on the applicator before each section?

Thanks

K-Dawg 04-11-2016 07:21 PM

Re: Captain's Boat Coating application and removal

Tried it again. The coating still gets tacky within a matter of seconds, preventing me from spreading it thin and even. Then it requires a lot of effort to remove the residual. After doing the door of the center console, I was spent.

I must be doing something wrong.

K-Dawg 04-17-2016 03:27 PM

Any advice?

Mike Phillips 04-18-2016 12:43 PM

How large of an area are you applying to at one time?

I find the largest you want to go is about a 2' by 2' section.

:)

Nick 04-18-2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Dawg (Post 1344)
What's the best way to apply and then remove Captain's Boat Coating?

I tried using a LC Coating Applicator like the website suggests, waiting a minute, then wiping off with a microfiber towel, but the coating is very difficult to remove.

I think I was making the coating too thick. I'll try to leave a thinner coating. The working time of the product seemed very short and didn't allow me to spread it out evenly on the section I was working.

How much should I be putting on the applicator before each section?

Thanks

How did you prep the surface?

K-Dawg 04-19-2016 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 (Post 1350)
How large of an area are you applying to at one time?

I find the largest you want to go is about a 2' by 2' section.

I was trying to spread it over approximately the same area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick@Marine31 (Post 1353)
How did you prep the surface?

I just washed it with some kind of boat wash I had leftover. It's been a couple months since I polished and I've done a couple washes. Should I prep with something like diluted Meguiar's APC+?

Mike Phillips 04-22-2016 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K-Dawg (Post 1360)

I just washed it with some kind of boat wash I had leftover.

It's been a couple months since I polished and I've done a couple washes. Should I prep with something like diluted Meguiar's APC+?

Yes, wipe the gel-coat down with something to strip off any polishing oils and any residues left by boat washes. Some boat washes contain some form of wax or other glossing or protecting ingredients, nothing wrong with these but when it comes to applying a coating you need clean, pure gel-coat.

davepjr71 05-06-2016 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 (Post 1361)
Yes, wipe the gel-coat down with something to strip off any polishing oils and any residues left by boat washes. Some boat washes contain some form of wax or other glossing or protecting ingredients, nothing wrong with these but when it comes to applying a coating you need clean, pure gel-coat.

I guess I'm stuck with the same issue. Is this supposed to be applied something like black fire wet diamond where you put it on and then remove residue or it is applied so that it coats the hull?

Nick 05-12-2016 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepjr71 (Post 1373)
I guess I'm stuck with the same issue. Is this supposed to be applied something like black fire wet diamond where you put it on and then remove residue or it is applied so that it coats the hull?

Apply to small sections at a time, then gently buff off any excess. Less is more with this coating!