Thread: New Boat
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
Mike Phillips

Default Re: New Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishgent View Post

Well I am finally getting around to my fall waxing. Amazing how work gets in the way of play time. Just to clear up a few questions you asked, most of my questions were hypothetical as suggestions for a new boat owners information Q&A.
Time is fleeting...

Quote:
I will be ordering your all-in-one gel coat polish and wax this week. I plan to also get your SS brightening soap. Some of the screws attaching different parts are causing some stains on the boat. Hoping the polish will help remove.
The stains are usually a orange/rust color and they will mostly be topical, that is on the surface. It is possible for the staining to penetrate into the surface so a little extra polishing if this is the case should fix the problem.

Quote:

Now I just need to decide what to do about my non-skid.
On Ship Shape TV I demonstrated how to clean non-skid with a Cyclo brush on either a Cyclo polisher or a Porter Cable style polisher. It does a better job faster. You use an All Purpose Cleaner and scrub the non-skid and then rinse and wash with a boat wash to remove all the loosened dirt and even loosened oxidized gel-coat.

Right here on my desk is our brand new Non-Skid Clear Sealant, I'll be shooting a brand new segment on Ship Shape TV tomorrow showing this product.

Not sure when it will be in the warehouse ready to ship but soon...

Quote:
I am thinking I should order a new polisher - mine is so old it does not have variable speed. Any recommendations for a polisher?
Sounds like you have either a rotary buffer or a traditional old school orbital buffer.

If you need to remove heavy oxidation over a large boat the best and fastest way is with a rotary buffer.

For anything else, like removing light oxidation, applying a one-step cleaner/wax or maintaining a boat in good condition with a non-cleaning wax then either Flex 3401 with foam pads is the way to go.

You could also use a Porter Cable style dual action polisher but it's not near as powerful or fast as a Flex 3401.