View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Help selecting a buffer

The Porter Cable 7424XP is a stout polisher and my dual action polisher of choice for doing simple work or machine sanding (both in the boat world and the car world).

Unlike copies of the Porter Cable, this tool is double insulated and so there's much less of a shock issue if you're around water than the copies.

The other thing is THIN pads rotate MUCH BETTER than THICK pads when it comes to these types of simple dual action polishers.

Recently, Lake Country, Griot's and Meguiar's all introduced thin foam pads.

So if it were me, and I wanted to go with an entry level, in-expensive tool like the Porter Cable then I would go with the Lake Country 5.5" ThinPro pads.

The Marine31.com store doesn't show them in the pad section so below I've linked to them on the Autogeek.com store.

If you plan on doing all your work on land and water shock is not an issue then the Griot's copy of the the Porter Cable, offers more power and a lifetime warranty.

Both tools are available from Autogeek with 25' heavy duty cords already pre-wired in and this,

1. Preserves the factory warranty.

2. Protects the electronics in the tool. Too light of an extension cord is bad for the motor.

3. Less hassling with extension cords.

Your choice, just thought I would mention it. When I used to detail full time I preferred to have a long cord wired into my tools than screw around with extension cords.