View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Applying a coating to Gel Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinder car care View Post
Been talking about coatings to several houseboat owners and getting some interest but just now starting to learn about Gel Coat and detailing boats and my thinking is that if it works on paint it will have the same great results on Gel Coat.

Have one gentleman ready to have applied but wanting to know if you Mike have applied coating to a Gel Coat finish or any other members on here and what coating did you apply and about how many ounces do you think it would take for a houseboat of a 90 footer?

Have been thinking about C.A.R. PRODUCTS bullet proof for the ease of application. tried Ceramic Pro's 3 step and liked it but a 3 step on something that big! NO!!!

Interested in any and all response on this subject and your thoughts!

I have not applied any coatings to any boats to day but have used traditional waxes and sealants.

Before applying a coating to a gel-coat hull I'd have to first start by researching the coating and the required prep for the coating.

To do this for a business there will be a higher charge for both the prep work and the application as well as the cost for materials. This would all be above and beyond any compounding and polishing work performed first if the gel-coat is oxidized.

Then if all of above is to be performed, that is,
  1. Compounding
  2. Polishing
  3. Prepping for a coating
  4. Coating application
For all of this and the charge to the customer, there needs to be some type of real benefit to the customer for the last two steps versus the traditional application of a wax or sealant.

If the boat is kept in the water year around versus dry storage, these would be important factors to take into consideration.