View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 07:04 AM   #20
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Help selecting a buffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magRT496 View Post

Here's the yellow streaks. They're hard to see but if you stand back a little bit they're there. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
My guess is the yellow streaks are a tannin stain. If the cleaner/wax didn't remove them then you'll have to go with a compound.

Removing stains is just a matter of removing more gel-coat. Gel-coat is somewhat porous and the tannin stains penetrate INTO the gel-coat. Thus abrading the surface will remove more gel-coat and thus remove the staining.

Quote:

The griots works well but it took a long time.

My advice to anyone else is just get the flex.

I think I stressed this in a friendly way in my boat detailing book. I know for a lot of guys it's easy to spend $100.00 on a tool versus $400.00 for a FLEX 3401 but the GEAR DRIVEN FLEX 3401 will work both faster and better since the pad won't stall out and stop spinning.

When you use free spinning tools like the Griot's, Porter Cable, Meguiar's MT300, etc., when the pad stalls out or stops spinning - you're not doing anything.

There are actually some "gurus" in this industry that will argue with you that a free spinning orbital polisher can remove swirls when the pad is NOT rotating and for the most part only vibrating or jiggling against the surface I'd say they've drank the Kool-Aid.

When I wrote my how-to book, I included all the tools sold by Autogeek/Marine 31 but for the cover, I purposefully chose the tool that I believe is the best all-around tool for boat detailing for the cover.

The cover of the book is the MOST VALUABLE piece of book real-estate if you think about it.

See the tool I chose for the cover? Also the pad?

Quote:

This was my first time and it's not very hard just time consuming.

Yep... boat are big, gel-coat is hard and the work is time consuming.

You done did good though!