View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Which pad should I use for AIO Marine 31 Polish/Wax?

The Griot's polisher you have is the most powerful polisher of this "type" of tool, that is it has more power than the Porter Cable 7424XP and the Meguiar's G110v2 as well as all the rest of the copies of the original in this category, the Porter Cable unit.

The benefit to this power is you can really spin one of these pads fast which is what gel-coats seem to like. The bad part is you'll tend to generate a lot of heat and the heat wears out pads and even backing plates.

This is where sometimes we push technology to the limit and the right tool for the job, at least if a person wants to get in there and get the job done quickly, then the right tool for the job would be a rotary buffer. A much more powerful tool and the backing plates and pads can take a lot more punishment before failing.

So with the above said, I think a guy could use the thin, purple foamed wool pads with a dual action polisher like the Griot's and a one-step cleaner/wax and this combo should remove any dullness and restore a high gloss finish that's protected at the same time.

Hang tight while I upload a few pictures....