View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Default Re: compound for 89 four winns

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandons View Post

Thanks Mike,

I ordered a DeWALT 849x to do the compounding. I will polish with my flex. Thanks again for your input. I have learned a ton from the forums over the last couple years.

I have been detailing for 20 years and thought I knew it all before I found the forums.
Nice to hear that... I wish discussion forums had been around when I first started detailing!

One thing about our forums, we keep them both helpful and friendly. I personally won't stay on a forum that's neither helpful or friendly and it's the leadership of a forum that gives the forum it's "personality", good or bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandons View Post

Do you think megs 205 or menzerna polish powerfinish that I bought from autogeek would be adequate to follow up with before I seal it?
Yes, either of these should work fine. Test both a foam cutting pad and a foam polishing pad and see which is giving you better results.

I know it's normal in the car world to finish out with a soft foam pad but I have experienced that gel-coats tend to like a harder foam pad even for finishing.

For example in this thread,

How to wetsand, cut and buff a gel-coat boat

We did the finish polishing using a blue 6.5" Hybrid pad on Flex 3401's.

Teamwork
Check out this shot, first there's John polishing up front, then Jay in the middle, followed by Chris!

John

Jay

Chris

Chris can always be trusted to do the job right!