View Single Post
Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Polishing/Removing Holograms after Marine 31 Heavy Oxidation remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
You're always going to have to do 2 steps if you want a swirl free finish. I've tried using the Flex on boats before, and although it leaves a better finish, it takes a lot longer, and it doesn't get the edges and corners as nice as a rotary. The Flex is better for removing holograms.

I suggest using a good boat compound first, followed by a polishing wax with a FLEX to remove holograms. There is literally no way to do it in one step unless you want to be there all day with a FLEX.

I agree.

Boat detailing is craft that really requires more than just one tool.

Sad to say most boat detailers only use a rotary buffer and leave every boat they buff out filled with a scratch pattern we call holograms. It's not really all their fault though because the market, (boat owners) are use to paying low prices to have their boat detailed so the boat detailing industry caters to their market.

I'm trying to change the industry with a two pronged approach,
  • Education
  • Training

Here's the education, the only article I know of on the problem.

Holograms in gel-coat boats by Mike Phillips

And as of this morning it has over 20,000 views on this forum. (It's also on TheHullTruth.com). So someone's reading it?

Then training by showing guys a two step approach,
  1. Start with the rotary
  2. Finish with the Flex 3401

Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

DeWALT Rotary Buffer with a wool cutting pad

Flex 3401 with a foam cutting pad

Then of coarse, seal the gel-coat surface.