View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #3
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Which Dual Action Polisher to Buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searay33 View Post

Hi Mike,

I wanted to get your opinion on which dual action polisher to buy.

I don't detail professionally. However, I do own a 33 foot boat that I detail annually and I enjoy keeping it looking its best. I currently have a Makita 9227c, but no DA polisher.

I did buy your detailing book and I know you speak highly of the Flex XC3401.

However, I've also been looking at the long stoke DA polishers like the Griot's Boss G15 and G21 and the Rupe's LHR 15ES and 21ES.

Then again, maybe these machines are overkill for the limited use they will be seeing and just a basic Porter Cable 7424xp would do the job fine.

I don't mind spending the extra money for the higher end polisher if it will give me better results and make the job easier. I just want to buy the right tool for the job.

I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Rick

Wow!

Great question. I'm glad you asked it because my guess is there are a lot of guys just like you, that is they own a boat and a rotary buffer but not a dual action polisher. They want to purchase a dual action polisher but they're not sure which polisher to go with?

While budget is a factor, anyone that owns a boat also has worked hard enough in their life to know the value of doing a job right the first time and in this context doing the job right the first time means doing their research and then making the right purchase the first time.

My recommendations are go with either the FLEX 3401 or the Griot's 6" DA Random Orbital Polisher.

I'll explain why below in detail in two separate posts to make reading my reasoning easier to read.

First - Thank you for your trust in me and purchasing my boat detailing how-to book. Without a doubt, out of the 5 how-to books I've written the boat detailing book was the most difficult because I cover the most topics and the most tools in-depth. I even cover how to do major oxidation removal using a 4-step process by hand and I think it's the first time in my life I've ever seen the hand compound, polishing and waxing process explained in detail.

So thank you for your purchase and I hope you enjoy the book.