Default Re: Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turas View Post

Hello every one. I am new to all this.
First...

Welcome to Marine31Online!

Quote:
I have had many boat over my life but my first love (1989 Mastercraft) needs so love.
Looks something like this?

Quote:

I purchased the Blackfire Flex Swirl remover kit to work on the newer one (2012) and some cars.
That's a great kit and a powerful and versatile tool...

Quote:
From what I have read and understand I need to get more power and use a rotary with wool or a hard cutting pad.
If you're trying to cut or chop off old, dead oxidized gel-coat then the fastest way is using a wool cutting pad on a rotary buffer with an aggressive compound.

Quote:
I don't do it for money but 4 years for different people working on my boats not one has made it look good.
Kind of the same sad story takes place in the car detailing world...

The problem is there's no type of certification to show, demonstrate or prove anyone that calls themselves a boat detailer actually knows what they are doing.

Quote:
I am not cheap and may be hard to please. I feel that with some more time and info I may be able to have the finish like the day I got them or better. Any info will be very nice.

The 2012 looked great with the kit but the 1989 needs more help with Ox on the black.

Thank You
Tim
Hmmm... a black gel-coat finish? Or partial finish? Something like this?

Since black tends to show any and all defects you'll probably want to cut the boat, that is remove the oxidation using an aggressive compound with a wool pad and rotary buffer but for the finishing steps switch over to the foam polishing pad and the SRC Compound and Polish for the last steps before sealing the gel-coat.

Here's a complete oxidation removal kit that includes the Flex PE14 Rotary Buffer as well as an aggressive compound and wool cutting pad plus a spur to help keep your pad clean plus more products you'll need to work through the process.

FLEX PE14-2-150 Marine 31 Boat Oxidation Removal Kit

The Flex PE14 is a lightweight, compact rotary buffer with a lot of power, it's my first choice for most buffing projects just because it doesn't tire me out...