View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Mike Phillips

Default Sign-up: How to Wetsand & Buff a 1960 Glastron Fireflight

Sign-up: How to Wetsand & Buff a 1960 Glastron Fireflight

This is a doozy!

John Greviskis just had the top and bottom of a 1960 Glastron Fireflight re-gel-coated. Not re-painted but this but is being fully restored and a part of the restoration process is to re-apply gel-coat to the exterior instead of paint because the gel-coat will be THICKER and hold up to abuse a lot better than a paint job. We have a very rare opportunity coming up to wetsand, cut and buff a 1960 Glastron Fireflight for his TV show, Ship Shape TV.

He is in the middle of completely restoring this 1960 Glastron which has FINS just like a 1957 Chevy.

Gel-Coat Finishing Work
The gel-coat needs to be sanded and buffed and we're going to show how to do this for a segment on Ship Shape TV.

Date and Time
Thursday August 28th starting around 2:00pm and going to 9:00pm.

Note: It's very possible we could start this project in the morning depending upon how many people are attending. So keep that in mind.

VERY RARE OPPORTUNITY
If you've ever wanted to learn how to wetsand, cut and buff a boat then start clearing your schedule so you can be here.

These types of projects are very RARE. I'll send someone a free bottle of Marine 31 Gel-Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant if they can show ANYWHERE on the Internet where the public has been invited to help wetsand, cut and buff a boat restoration project like this not including the classes I've already taught.

Sign-up List

1. Mike Phillips - Of course I'll be here!
2. professionalpolishing
3. Antti
4. Frank
5. Den
6. Barry
7. Chris
8. Rick - From ChrisCraftCataline.com
9. Kajunstick
10. John
11. Craig
12. Dave
13. Stephen
14. Rick Mennine
15. Paul

Date: Thursday August 28th 2014
Time: 2:00pm to 9:00pm

Marine 31 Boat Shop
7744 SW Jack James Drive
Stuart, FL 34997
Mapquest Driving Directions

Topics Covered
  1. How to hand sand
  2. How to machine sand
  3. How to use a rotary bufer with a wool pad
  4. How to use a Flex 3401 with a foam pad
  5. How to use the Rupes Bigfoot 21 with a foam pad
  6. How to machine wax and seal gel-coat
NOTE: The boat below is NOT the boat we're going to be working on, it's one I found on the Internet until I can get pictures of the actual boat. It's to give people an idea of what a 1960 Glastron Fireflight looks like and the FINS that were iconic to runabout ski boats built in the 1950's and 1960's.

John Greviskis told me there's a resurgence in restoring classic fiberglas boat and this means there is an increase in the technique of RE-Gel-coating boats instead of painting them.

The other side of the coin is after the boats are re-gel-coated they need to be wet sanded, cut and buffed.

We're going to show how to hand sand and machine sand the new gel-coat on this 1960 Glastron Fireflight using 5" sanding discs from Rupes and compounds, polishes and waxes from Marine 31.

There's no other place in the United States and probably the world where the public, that is our forum members will be invited to be a part of this project.

So this is a rare opportunity indeed.

If you've ever wanted to learn how to wetsand, cut and buff gel-coat boats then clear your schedule to be here the last week of August and get signed up for this event