View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 AM   #15
Mike Phillips

Default Re: *NEW* Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactive View Post

I have a rotary machine now. I just don't like using it much.

I guess I can give it a try with wool pads on the rotary and give it a whirl.

With wool pads, the key to making it easy to buff is to clean your pads often using a steel pad cleaning spur and this is especially true when buffing oxidized gel-coats.

When buffing oxidized gel-coats you have two things building up on the face of the pad,
1. Oxidized gel-coat

2. Spent or used-up compound and polish residues
If you don't clean this gunk off the face of the buffing pad after buffing each section or so it will make buffing new of fresh product more difficult. You'll find the buffing pad will tend to grab the gel-coat surface and jerk you around or try to hop around, called buffer hop.

Clean the pad often and this will dramatically reduce these characteristics.

Also, if you don't clean your pad to other unwanted things happen...
1. You dilute the strength of the fresh product because you're mixing it with used-up or spent product.

2. You're going to get tired faster as the residue you leave behind on the surface becomes more gummy and thus harder to wipe off.

Not sure where you live but last Thursday we did a rotary buffer only buff-out on a 1990 Corvette using compounds and polishes. While this is not a boat, I did go over a lot of tips and techniques for how to use a rotary buffer and these same tips and technique apply to using a rotary buffer on a boat.

1990 Corvette - Extreme Makeover Pictures & Process