View Single Post
Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Center Console Detailing - Test Spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatchley View Post

I would like to avoid purchasing a rotary buffer if possible. I don't have any experience with them.

I'm also going to need the wool pads to work on the outside of the boat so I might as well pick them up now.

Just to add.... I hear what you're saying about the rotary buffer but it's really the fastest way to tackle oxidation on gel-coat boats. Together with a wool pad and quality compound like the Captain's compound it will be the fastest and most effective way to work.

The issue about using rotary buffers with wool pads on gel-coat boats is the same issue with using rotary buffers with wool pads on car paint and that's the scratch pattern the fibers leave behind called holograms.

If you haven't read my article on holograms here's the link, to my knowledge it's the ONLY article like it in the entire boat detailing world.

Holograms in gel-coat boats by Mike Phillips

The solution to the problem is simple... it's okay to start with a rotary just don't finish with a rotary. In my how-to book I recommend starting with the rotary and finishing with the Flex 3401.

So down the road, if you decide to add a rotary buffer to your tool arsenal take a serious look at the Flex PE14. It is the rotary of choice for any boat project I've ever been involved with or even car project for that matter.
  • Lightweight
  • Quiet
  • Compact design
  • Pro grade quality

You can use the same pads that you use with your Flex 3401 with the rotary.