View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 01:07 PM   #1
Searay33

Default Which Dual Action Polisher to Buy

Hi Mike,

I wanted to get your opinion on which dual action polisher to buy. I don't detail professionally. However, I do own a 33 foot boat that I detail annually and I enjoy keeping it looking its best. I currently have a Makita 9227c, but no DA polisher.

My typical annual routine is a two step process. First step is with the Makita 9227c and a one step compound/polish to remove any light oxidation and bring back the shine. The second step is to apply a coat of Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant by hand.

This process works well, but the rotary machine is probably more than I really need for annual cleanup and it also leaves behind holograms in the gel coat that can be seen at some angles. I'd like to switch to a DA polisher.

I did buy your detailing book and I know you speak highly of the Flex XC3401. However, I've also been looking at the long stoke DA polishers like the Griot's Boss G15 and G21 and the Rupe's LHR 15ES and 21ES. Then again, maybe these machines are overkill for the limited use they will be seeing and just a basic Porter Cable 7424xp would do the job fine. I don't mind spending the extra money for the higher end polisher if it will give me better results and make the job easier. I just want to buy the right tool for the job.

I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Rick
Searay33 is offline   Reply With Quote