View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

Next we scrubbed the hard, molded-in non-skid. Now you can do this by hand with a scrub brush or using a brush on a pole. Both these approaches work.

To REALLY get the non-skid clean I showed how to MACHINE SCRUB the non-skid using Cyclo brushes on both the Cyclo Polisher and the Porter Cable Polishers using Marine 31 Port to Starboard All Purpose Cleaner.

Another reason I show doing this step by machine is because later we're going to SEAL the molded-in non skid surfaces using the Marine 31 Non-Skid Clear Sealant with Carnauba and like a lot of detailing procedures the most important aspect of sealing non-skid is starting with a clean surface and machine cleaning does a better job of cleaning non-skid than you can ever do by hand.

This is another step you want to do BEFORE washing the boat because you don't want to use electric tools around water. So we polished the metal brightwork and machine scrubbed the non-skid with the boat inside the studio and then after finishing these two steps moved the boat outside into the hot Florida sun to wash the boat.

The order you do the steps is up to you... I like to find ways that reduce the number of steps while still getting the job done fast and efficient.

Of course most people won't have an air conditioned studio to work in when detailing a boat but we like provide a fun, cool and educational work environment for all our classes.