View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Which pad should I use for AIO Marine 31 Polish/Wax?

The below is from an extreme makeover we did here last summer when we these new pads first came in....

Pictures: 16' Key Largo Center Console Boat Detailing Class with Marine 31

Here's where we started... a 2007 16' Key Largo Center Console Boat that has not been polished or waxed for years...

Dull, oxidized gel-coat, no shine, no reflection, rough to the touch...

We're going to use a number of Marine 31 products to restore this boat. For the gel-coat finish we're going to use the Marine 31 All-in-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax, this is a light one-step cleaner/wax for mildly neglected gel-coat surfaces. It will clean, polish and protect in one-step.

To apply it, we're going to use dual action polishers but bump up their cleaning and oxidation removing ability by using the new Lake Country Purple Foamed Wool DA Pads, which are thinner so they will rotate better under pressure on dual action polishers. Thick pads don't work well on these types of tools, especially when doing heavy correction work.

Here's Chris using the Porter Cable 7424XP with the 5.5" PFW thin pads...

Here's Marcos using the Porter Cable 7424XP with the new thin PFW pads...

And here's the beauty shots...

This boat had zero gloss and shine when it arrived and the hull felt rough to the touch. Now it's a dramatically brighter white, with excellent shine, gloss and even reflection....

The hardest thing to do is to get sharp reflections off a white surface...

Check this out... I'm standing when I took this shot...

Then I dropped down to one knee and captured the red and black tile floor reflections off the white gel-coat finish...