View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Where should I start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcderns View Post

Hey everyone, new to the site. Have some questions about polishing a couple of our boats. I have a PC 7424, and wondering where to start with what pads and what products.
The Porter Cable works best with thin pads around 5" in diameter. I tend to use the Lake Country 5.5" Flat Pads as these are pretty much bubba-proof and work great with any compound, polish or wax. They are open cell so they are also easier to clean (flush with water), than closed cell pads.

The Lake Country CCS are also real popular and some people prefer the design of the face of the pad of the CCS instead of a flat face design.

5.5" Lake Country Flat Pads

5.5" Lake Country CCS Pads

For removing swirls out of gel-coat you're going to want the yellow or orange cutting pads and for any light polishing or machine waxing the white colored polishing pads.

For extra soft and gentle waxing of a dark finish you could go with the blue pads in either pad design.

Quote:
I have two dragboats, so they arent nearly as bad as what most of you see out there I bet. They get used once a week, for a few hours for the whole summer. So they arent really oxidized or anything like that.

Mine is a 1986 Eliminator Daytona (blues and white gel), and my Dads is a 2007 Cheyenne (black and blues gel).
A father/son passion for fast boats... very cool...

Quote:

On the Daytona, its just a little faded and swirled, and the Cheyenne is just a little swirled.

If the fading and swirls are light you can probably get away with a one-step cleaner/wax like the Marine All-In_one Gel Coat Polish & Wax. This has light cutting or polishing ability and leaves behind excellent protection at the same time.