View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Advertising, Prospecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66detail View Post

Mike,

Thanks a lot for your advice. We do have a Facebook page and we actually got our first detail job from it yesterday.
There you go. Good job.

Quote:

We've been hitting all the local FB swip swap pages. Our first detail was a crossover vehicle. We are just starting but we told ourselves we would only be doing boats and RVs.

This IS our intent in the future but as a new business, we didn't think it was a good idea to tell ANYONE "no" to an opportunity. (thoughts?)

Yeah I have some thoughts....

When first starting out it's easy to want to always say "yes" and take every job that walks through the door or calls on the phone.

My thoughts and actually my recommendation in Renny Doyle's book , How to start a home-based car detailing business.

I have 3-4 sections in his book as a guest contributor and on pages 124 and 125 I talked about,

The learned art of turning work down.

The reason why is because it's too simple to fall into the trap of taking on every job you're offered. Instead, I teach people the art of cherry picking, that is pick the best jobs, the profitable jobs and let someone else have the unrewarding jobs. It's a learning curve, learn which jobs to take and which jobs to let pass by and let the other guys learn the hard way.

Best thing you probably ever did to grow your business was join this forum and I'd also recommend joining the AGO forum for car detailing.

All the detailers out there in the world that DON'T belong to a forum get to learn the hard way. Detailers that hang out on forums like ours have the benefit of learning through other people's mistakes so they don't have to repeat them themselves.

I have an article on that....

Detailers that hang out on discussion forums know more than detailers that don't...

Quote:

It was a great learning experience and we did a good job to boot. Customer was very happy with the fact that it came out better than he thought could even be done. Was worried about big seat stains. I am a bit compulsive so I was wondering if I was obsessing about every little crevice too much... lol

Rob - Route 66 Mobile Detail

You should read another article of mine, it's about balance and matching your services to your customer.

A few tips on starting a part-time detailing business
Match your services to your customer

I also teach these principals in my 3-day detailing boot camp class.

Click this link to see what a class is like,

Pictures & Comments: July 2015 Detailing Boot Camp Class!