View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
kinder car care

Default Re: My first boat I ever detailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
I've been taking lots of pics Daniel, doing this after work and on the weekends between other things so uploading pics from the camera are taking a back seat! Usually starting after work ~5:30 working til 9pm (dark). Definitely not the fastest way, but with my schedule and my dad's it's the best we've got.

It's become very apparent I need to wetsand the boat to get rid of a lot of medium/deep scrathes but it's just not going to happen anytime soon. My dad and I are happy with the results so far just getting all the oxidation out of the gelcoat, wet sanding might be next year.

Starting with 3 passes of HCOC with Lake Country wool pads on my Dewalt 749X ~1200-1400rpm. Going to finish up the last bit of it tonight, then hopefully get started on the Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer w/Lake Country Orange foam pad.

My Plan:
Dewalt 749X

1. 3 passes Heavy Cut Oxidation Cleaner, Lake Country wool pads, ~1200-1400rpm [<2hrs work left]
2. 1 pass Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer,Lake Country Orange foam pad, unsure on speed right now
3. 1 pass Gel Coat Final Step Polish,Lake Country White foam pad, unsure on speed right now
4. 1 pass Wax & Sealant, Lake Country Blue foam pad, unsure on speed right now

(Sorry for the thread hijack! I'll start my own once I get a little more time. )
Hey Erik,
*How much pressure are you applying with the HCOC?
I used 20+ or more with slow arm speed and on the Gel Coat I was working on it responded better with higher speed and finished out ready it seamed for LSP. I also would test each section of the boat when I moved into a different part because of the sun and where it had been setting for who knows how long, but I would try to always do 3 high speed very heavy pressure and lighten up on the last 1 or sometimes 2 passes with less speed and pressure.

I know each Gel Coat is different then the next but it seams like your doing to many steps?

After my HCOC I went straight for the HCCW with a pink cutting CCS foam pad also with high speed and heavy pressure and applied the same technique, 2 to 3 passes on this one and the 1 to 2 light speed and pressure.

And before each application of more product I would spur the daylight out of my wool pad and always brush off my foam pads and even clean my foam pad on the fly after 3 foot or so to make sure I didn't have any spent product or old oxidized gel coat on my pads.

Then when I was finished went over everything with wax and shine detail spray. Just telling my technique maybe help or give another idea if you haven't tried it or use it yet.

Good luck and be waiting to check her out!