View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Mike,

The class far exceeded my expectations. I was hesitant to jump into gel coat refinish work. I now can go at it like an experienced professional.

Two things I would like to have seen:
A copy of the powerpoint.

A 5 minute discussion on how to approach areas of the boat that are not machinable. Like the rim seated area under a hatch, or some of those areas on the hull that are cluttered by exposed hardware.
The class is worth twice the price.

V/r
b
Bob A

Hi Bob,

Thank you for attending the class and thank you very much for the feedback.

Like we discussed in the class, on a scale of 1 to 10 this boat was about a 5 or 6 with the amount of oxidation, scratches and water spots. This made for a really great learning experience because it was bad enough that it enabled us to show a complete restoration process but not so bad that it couldn't be saved without hundreds of hours of work.

As for the Power Point I'm working on something like that for future classes as well as everyone that attended this last class.

As for areas that are hard to get by machine that's when we have to fall back on good old fashioned elbow grease and knock these out by hand. The sanding can be done by hand and even rubbing out your sanding marks it just takes more time.

A better approach is to fall back on using an aggressive one-step cleaner/wax and a simple piece of cotton terrycloth as the terrycloth acts like a mild form of abrasive and together with the abrasives in the cleaner/wax and a little elbow grease you can restore these harder to work areas to match the result created by machine on the surrounding surfaces. Besides the work element the other huge factor is simply the time element.

Yours truly and a few guys in the warehouse will be out restoring the studio back to its former condition plus I'm going to finish buffing out the diamond plate fenders on the trailer.

After that I'll try to get some pictures from the class into this thread today.