View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Default Re: What would YOU use?

Hi Tim,

Normally I would say to use a more aggressive product to cut through the oxidation and fading. Instead, I did some research and according to this pdf brochure for Cobalt boats, Cobalt uses a coating of some sort on the exterior called,

Xycon Barrier Coat

The way the description reads in the brochure it's a coating between the structural fiberglas and the gel-coat and if that's the case then this coating is not on the exterior and not an issue.

But the description also states, (last sentence)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt

Xycon's resilience will preserve that original appearance through years of boating enjoyment
To me that reads like a coating on the exterior to preserve the boat's exterior appearance.

Here's a screenshot from the brochure...

I've looked up their contact information and for my own knowledge and to ensure you get the correct information for working on the exterior of your boat's hull I'll contact Cobalt today, reference this thread and try to get some accurate information as well as the manufacturers recommendations for doing restoration work to their boats.

I do like that the graphics are all a part of the gel-coat and not tape or stickers applied to the surface. This is the best way to go and makes maintenance a heck of a lot easier over the years.

Which model do you have by the way?

Hang tight as we get the skinny and then an accurate and professional approach to see you through to success...