View Single Post
Old 05-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
Addicted2Bling

Default Re: Polishing/Removing Holograms after Marine 31 Heavy Oxidation remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_preaux View Post
Started using the Marine 31 product line this year and really fell in love with the Marine 31 Heavy oxidation remover. It cuts faster than another commonly used marine product line, and leaves very faint halo's and buffer trails. I'm using the heavy oxidation remover with a dewalt rotary 879x, with double sided 100% wool pads. It finishes out great, but when i go to polish out the halo's with Marine 31 AIO, or Marine 31 Final Step polish it "dulls" the surface, and leaves a few buffer lines. I have tried using the dewalt with a black polishing pad at varying speeds, a flex vrg 3401 with white lake country pad, green lake country pad, and black polishing pad, and i have also tried the griots DA with same pads as the flex and still not getting 90-100% correction like I am wanting. I did have a few older 6.5" PFW pads and i tried them on the dewalt and the flex. The dewalt gave better results, but still leaving faint halos and trails. The only way i can see the marks is when i have my halogen lights at an angle on the surface. Any thoughts or pad combo's that i should be using with the polishes to get where i want it? Thanks
You're always going to have to do 2 steps if you want a swirl free finish. I've tried using the Flex on boats before, and although it leaves a better finish, it takes a lot longer, and it doesn't get the edges and corners as nice as a rotary. The Flex is better for removing holograms.

I suggest using a good boat compound first, followed by a polishing wax with a FLEX to remove holograms. There is literally no way to do it in one step unless you want to be there all day with a FLEX.
Addicted2Bling is offline   Reply With Quote