View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
kinder car care

Default Re: Applying a coating to Gel Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Marine31 View Post
Gel coat is considerably more porous than paint, so you'll need to apply the coating liberally.

Other than that you're good to go!
So I'm going to go out on a limb and see what you think of my thoughts!

If 1 bottle of Detailers paint coating will do 10-15 cars ? let's just say 10 to be safe and the houseboat I'm working on is 70'+ but in reality the gel coat and single stage paint on most of the side is only about 55' & then I think it's 14' wide front & back, so I'm looking at 138' of gel coat and S.S paint to coat. I'm hoping that just under 2 bottles will do this even though you said to not be tight with the coating.

I will be using Lake Country coating applicators to apply it, and have 28 new short microfiber towels to remove excess. Just trying to make sure I've got my technique down, apply when sun's not out (right side of boat is in direct sunlight 70% of the day so this will be my challenge) and work an area I'm good with so I can apply it and then go back over the section and wipe excess off with about 5lbs. pressure and move on to next section and over lap previous section by a couple inches or so and so on and so forth until I'm finished?

I will be going over all gel coat and S.S. paint twice to make sure all oil's and waxes are removed with Kleen Stripe orderless mineral spirits. Anything else I should do or shouldn't do? Thanks For Your Help, Appreciate You!