View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #8
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Applying a coating to Gel Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinder car care View Post

So I'm going to go out on a limb and see what you think of my thoughts!

If 1 bottle of Detailers paint coating will do 10-15 cars ? let's just say 10 to be safe and the houseboat I'm working on is 70'+ but in reality the gel coat and single stage paint on most of the side is only about 55' & then I think it's 14' wide front & back, so I'm looking at 138' of gel coat and S.S paint to coat. I'm hoping that just under 2 bottles will do this even though you said to not be tight with the coating.

I will be using Lake Country coating applicators to apply it, and have 28 new short microfiber towels to remove excess. Just trying to make sure I've got my technique down, apply when sun's not out (right side of boat is in direct sunlight 70% of the day so this will be my challenge) and work an area I'm good with so I can apply it and then go back over the section and wipe excess off with about 5lbs. pressure and move on to next section and over lap previous section by a couple inches or so and so on and so forth until I'm finished?
The technique you've laid out reads right.

Quote:

I will be going over all gel coat and S.S. paint twice to make sure all oil's and waxes are removed with Kleen Strip orderless mineral spirits.
That's the brand I use. I would suggest getting a 32 ounce spray bottle and a chemical resistant spray head with a nozzle on the spray head that does a good job of atomizing the MS and provides an even fan spraying pattern. Nothing worse when spraying anything than a sprayer that works more or less like s sloppy squirt gun.

Quote:

Anything else I should do or shouldn't do? Thanks For Your Help, Appreciate You!
I'd recommend wiping the hull down twice using this approach.

Make one pass around the hull and get the majority of any residues off the hull.

Then, discard of any microfiber towels used for this first wipe-down and repeat with fresh clean towels.

The reason why is you want to avoid any cross-contamination. When wiping off any compound or polish residue these residues end up on your towel. If the goal is to leave a residue-free surface then you have to avoid cross-contamination.

My thoughts on this type of procedure is you can make it cleaner and more Bubba-Proof by doing the two wipe-downs as dedicated, entire hull wipe-downs, one after the other than what would seem to be the easier way of wiping a section twice at the same time and then moving down the boat and wiping another section twice.

Does that make sense?

I just think trying to manage your towels will be more difficult trying to wipe twice with one pass around the boat.