Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Oxidation Removal - Exterior Gel-Coat and Hull Detailing » Help on an 1993 astro s18b

Notices

Oxidation Removal - Exterior Gel-Coat and Hull Detailing One of the major areas of boat detailing is the restoration, maintenance and preservation of your goat's gel-coat hull.

Help on an 1993 astro s18b
Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM   #1
Loner5777j

Default Help on an 1993 astro s18b

[IMG[/IMG]Ok guys, I bought a used bass boat last year, and to say the least she was oxidized. I got a shine to come back to her, but I have a weird issue. If you look in the picture, in front of and around the cleat is the color the boat SHOULD be, everywhere else is still reflective, but discolored. Is there any thing to do with this? I've used my makita and wool with meguiars one step ultra marine and still can't make a dent
Loner5777j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Loner5777j

Default Re: Help on an 1993 astro s18b

Old 07-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner5777j View Post

If you look in the picture, in front of and around the cleat is the color the boat SHOULD be, everywhere else is still reflective, but discolored. Is there any thing to do with this?

I've used my makita and wool with meguiars one step ultra marine and still can't make a dent

Meguiar's One Step Compound is a aggressive cutting compound that in most cases will finish out like a polish.

If this product is removing the oxidation but not leaving the surface "clear" so you can see the color of the gel-coat and the flake, then I'd try polishing with a less aggressive product and a foam pad.

Keep in mind the wool fibers that make up a wool cutting pad will leave the paint looking dull and hazy because each fiber CUTS the paint.

Switching to foam, because it has a uniform surface texture and is softer, more gentle than a wool cutting pad a a much less aggressive fine cut polish should remove the haze and make the surface clear so you can see the beauty of the color and the flake.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner5777j View Post
[IMG[/IMG]

I got a shine to come back to her, but I have a weird issue.

If you look in the picture, in front of and around the cleat is the color the boat SHOULD be, everywhere else is still reflective, but discolored.

Can you take a larger and closer picture showing the area around the cleat that looks good and an area that looks discolored?

If you can, e-mail it to me.

Mike@Marine31.com

Maybe I'm not understanding your explanation of the issue?

Normally, with oxidation you,

1. Compound
  2. Polish
  3. Seal

Maximum results are achieved from all three step.

If the first step isn't removing 100% of the oxidation then this is where we need to concentrate as the first step determines the final end results.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #5
kinder car care

to Marine31 Loner
Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Loner5777j

Thanks for the add and the answers guys
Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #7
kinder car care

Not seeing any pics Loner?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Mike Phillips

Here's the two pictures you e-mailed me, I've resized them to 800 pixels wide and placed them into your free gallery here on Marine31Online.com

I'm not familiar with how Astro lays up thier hulls but my guess is this is either,
1. Clear polyester resin over a mylar or metallic flake ontop of a colored or pigmented polyester resin.

Or

2. It's an automotive basecoat/clearcoat paint sprayed over a pigmented gel-coat hull.
My guess is the first option as that would make sense, be a lot more stout and cost a lot less to produce.

Assuming it's option 1...

I think the "color" part of the gel-coat is fine. You've cleared up the surface to see the colored or pigmented and flaked underlying portion and the color diference is either normal from the factory or faded from exposure to sun over time.

Here's the dealio....

You can only "affect" the surface, you cannot affect what's under the surface. So finish buffing out the boat and slap some wax on it and then get out on the water and enjoy!

These look like stress cracks to me, that is the random lines in the surface. You cannot do anything to fix these as they are "in" the clear resin, not "on" the clear resin.

My guess is these results look a million times better than from where you started so just keep on compounding followed by polishing and then seal her up.

How about a far shot of the boat showing the entire boat from the side and front?