Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Dewalt 849x questions

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Dewalt 849x questions
Old 06-24-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
brandons

Default Dewalt 849x questions

Hi Mike,

I am setting up my dewalt for gel coat use. I use my flex 3401 on everything else. My plans are to use the dewalt for compounding then follow up with the flex for polish and wax or sealant. What are your recommendations for backing plate and wool pad for strictly gel coat use. Is the stock one ok on boats? I want something that will last and gold up to the heat and abuse that it will get for boats. You also mentioned boats like more aggressive pads (foam) when polishing. Should I use an orange pad to polish instead of the traditional white? Should I seal with a traditional polishing pad ?

Thank you for your insight and sharing your experience! I have learned a lot from AGO!
brandons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: DeWALT 849x questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandons View Post

Hi Mike,

I am setting up my DeWALT for gel coat use. I use my flex 3401 on everything else. My plans are to use the DeWALT for compounding then follow up with the flex for polish and wax or sealant.

What are your recommendations for backing plate and wool pad for strictly gel coat use.

Is the stock one ok on boats? I want something that will last and gold up to the heat and abuse that it will get for boats.
The backing plate and wool cutting pad that came with your DeWALT 849X will work fine for chopping on oxidized gel-coat boats. Pads wear out so if you're going to do a lot of buffing then pick up one or two spares.

Smaller pads are easier to control than larger pads so look at something in the 7" to 8" range.

8.5" Wool Cutting Pad

7.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool 100% Twisted Wool Cutting Pad

You'll need a 6" backing plate for the smaller pads...

6 inch Hook & Loop Rotary Flexible Backing Plate

Quote:

You also mentioned boats like more aggressive pads (foam) when polishing. Should I use an orange pad to polish instead of the traditional white? Should I seal with a traditional polishing pad ?
Yes, use a more aggressive foam for the polishing step.

If you're simply applying a non-cleaning finishing wax or sealant then soft wax pads are fine. Won't hurt to use polishing pads either.

Pad choice for polishing, that is removing the holograms left by the fibers and the abrasives out of the gel coat AND leaving a glossy finish is best done with stiffer foam cutting pads.

For the Flex 3401 I'd get the Blue Hybrid 6.5" pads like I show here,

How to wetsand, cut and buff a gel-coat boat

Quote:

Thank you for your insight and sharing your experience! I have learned a lot from AGO!
Thanks, I alway try my hardest....

Old 06-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
brandons

Default Re: DeWALT 849x questions

Thanks for the info Mike, I will include these in my next order.
brandons is offline   Reply With Quote