Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Marine31 Welcome & Announcements » Introduction Forum » Hello

Notices

Introduction Forum Please take a moment to introduce yourself after joining the forum.

Hello
Old 06-22-2015, 07:29 PM   #1
Jdbillin

Default Hello

Hi,

I own a mobile detailing company in central Ohio, I've always enjoyed doing boats If I could get enough of them I'd probably never detail another car again.

I've bought a lot of stuff from auto geek and recently found this forum.

I have a pretty big selection marine products but none are the marine 31 brand though, looking forward to learning new things about detailing in general and the marine 31 products

Thanks
Jordan
Jdbillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Hello

Hi Jordan,

Welcome to Marine31Online!

Boat detailing is very different than car detailing. I find some guys either really like car detailing or really like boat detailing and then tend to go after that market.

I was at a local Marina over the weekend and I was surprised how many boat detailing business cards were tacked to the cork board inside the main office.

Most had no website, e-mail or even Facebook page. My guess is they get all their business from referrals.

I do wonder what the quality of their work is as far as taking care of the gel-coat.

Also we're getting lots of great feedback from our new Captain's Boat Coating. If you're not using a coating now for some of your best customers perhaps consider it.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #3
Jdbillin

There's not many people around me that only detail boats, there's a fair amount of places to boat though. If you start heading twards the Great Lakes there's a lot more boat detailing companies.

Ive always been curious to see the quality of work form other detailers around me but I haven't had a chance to yet though.

I'll have to look into the coating, I have several customers that only get there boat done once a year and they always get a little bit chalky by the end of the year, especially the ones that were in really bad shape before I got ahold of them. Would the coating help prevent that?

Currently I just use a wax, I have tre wax and some 3m marine wax.

I reciently bought fountain of youth sealant, I haven't got a chance to use it yet. I'm curious to see how well it works.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdbillin View Post

There's not many people around me that only detail boats, there's a fair amount of places to boat though. If you start heading twards the Great Lakes there's a lot more boat detailing companies.

Ive always been curious to see the quality of work form other detailers around me but I haven't had a chance to yet though.
I"m always SUPER curious to see what other boat detailers use for,

Tools
Pads
Chemicals

My assumption is totally archaic everything... I hope I'm wrong but from what I've seen the boat detailing industry is so far behind the car detailing industry as it relates to tools, pads and products.

Of course, the detailing industry is in part driven by boat owners and what they'll pay...

Quote:
I'll have to look into the coating, I have several customers that only get there boat done once a year and they always get a little bit chalky by the end of the year, especially the ones that were in really bad shape before I got ahold of them.

Would the coating help prevent that?
The idea is to prevent but realistically what a coating will do is slow down the oxidation process and do it better and last longer than a wax or a sealant.

Since coatings are new to the boat detailing world we need some time to go by to get more real world results. I know that if you don't wipe off all the high spots the only way to remove any excess is to simply compound it off so to me that's a really good sign of just how well our coating bonds to the surface. It's kind of like applying super glue but not as crazy as super glue of course.

Quote:

Currently I just use a wax, I have tre wax and some 3m marine wax.

I recently bought fountain of youth sealant, I haven't got a chance to use it yet. I'm curious to see how well it works.
We sell the 3M line on our sister site PremiumBoatCare.com

I've never heard of Fountain of Youth Sealant but an intriguing name.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Jdbillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 View Post

Tools
Pads
Chemicals

My assumption is totally archaic everything... I hope I'm wrong but from what I've seen the boat detailing industry is so far behind the car detailing industry as it relates to tools, pads and products.

Of course, the detailing industry is in part driven by boat owners and what they'll pay...

I agree there is so much more stuff available for the automotive side of things. I'm sure I would be considered old school for the fact that when it comes to paint correction on cars the first thing I do is break out my rotary buffer I have the porter cable dual action buffer but I really only use it to apply wax with.

I've had my business for 3 years now and from what I've seen is my boat customers don't worry to much about cost, they just want their boat to look as good as it can. But the customers on the auto side are always worried about cost, most of them want a $300 detail for $80 the boat people aren't like that

The idea is to prevent but realistically what a coating will do is slow down the oxidation process and do it better and last longer than a wax or a sealant.

Since coatings are new to the boat detailing world we need some time to go by to get more real world results. I know that if you don't wipe off all the high spots the only way to remove any excess is to simply compound it off so to me that's a really good sign of just how well our coating bonds to the surface. It's kind of like applying super glue but not as crazy as super glue of course.

Thats interesting, Sounds like its pretty tough stuff. My first thought it to use it on the bottoms and transom area. They always seem to get the dirty first i'm sure it would aid in cleaning.

I'll have to get on their and check it out, Is stuff the same price as on auto geek?

The products are called fountain of youth, I believe its made by power one. They have a website but its not the greatest.

I frist got turned on to them by a customer that gave me their heavy cut compound to try and I was really impressed by it. Its pretty cheep to if i recall correctly its around $50-60 a gallon. I have had good luck using it for my first pass then followed by presta gel-coat compound both with a wool-pad.

I am always open to suggestions and willing to learn, I want to do all I can to better my business.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Jdbillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 View Post

Tools
Pads
Chemicals

I agree there is so much more stuff available for the automotive side of things. I'm sure I would be considered old school for the fact that when it comes to paint correction on cars the first thing I do is break out my rotary buffer I have the porter cable dual action buffer but I really only use it to apply wax with.

I've had my business for 3 years now and from what I've seen is my boat customers don't worry to much about cost, they just want their boat to look as good as it can. But the customers on the auto side are always worried about cost, most of them want a $300 detail for $80 the boat people aren't like that

Thats interesting, Sounds like its pretty tough stuff. My first thought it to use it on the bottoms and transom area. They always seem to get the dirty first i'm sure it would aid in cleaning.

I'll have to get on their and check it out, Is stuff the same price as on auto geek?

The products are called fountain of youth, I believe its made by power one. They have a website but its not the greatest.

I frist got turned on to them by a customer that gave me their heavy cut compound to try and I was really impressed by it. Its pretty cheep to if i recall correctly its around $50-60 a gallon. I have had good luck using it for my first pass then followed by presta gel-coat compound both with a wool-pad.

I am always open to suggestions and willing to learn, I want to do all I can to better my business.