Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » The Boat Yard » Off Topic » My first boat I ever detailed

Notices

Off Topic Open discussion about just about anything except politics and religion.

My first boat I ever detailed
Old 07-09-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
kinder car care

Default My first boat I ever detailed

This is about 7 or 8 years ago and sorry for the picture quality, this is my early days and back then all I had/used was disposable camera's and 6'' & 10'' orbital buffer's to do any and all my work so alot of self learning's and trail & error's up to this point.

Here's my products of choice, and in order of use starting from right to left.

My test spot.

Different angle. As you can see this boat was in very bad shape and I always had the attitude that I can do anything that I set my mind too!

Some before & after shots.

After

Before

After

Before

After

Some 50/50 shots.

Here you can see where I removed the trolling motor but never did get anything close to the true condition of the original Gel Coat finish and also a pic of my 2 orbital's I used.

Finished, cleaned & back together. Best I can remeber it took me 5 days to get this done, would have loved to have know back then what I have learned and know now plus with the machines I have. But I think it has taught me alot and from all the mistakes I've made, I've learned alot. And thank you Mike for all your teachings and many thousand articles you've wrote and the many times I've read them and even have printed out in a notebook for quick studies and what I call my cliffnotes of detailing if you will.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
brandons

Default Re: My first boat I ever detailed

I am surprised that the orbital had enough power to do the work shown. The new tools of the trade or a rotary make life much easier on a boat. The fine cut compound bottle brings back some memories.
brandons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
kinder car care

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandons View Post
I am surprised that the orbital had enough power to do the work shown. The new tools of the trade or a rotary make life much easier on a boat. The fine cut compound bottle brings back some memories.
Yeah it was a looonngg process and used many terry bonnets!
Old 07-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Now this is what I call...

A blast from the past!

Thanks for sharing and I too remember using a lot of #2, #7 and #26 back in the day. Actually I used a lot of,

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #9, #16, #20 and #26 back in the day...

Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
ScarabEpic22

Ive used some Megs stuff in the past when helping my dad, but I think he did it was a POS generic 10" orbital. But we did it yearly, so the boat stayed looking pretty good. Fast forward to ~2006-7 and I used more Megs products to do my parent's new boat with a PC 7424xp which worked well.

The old boat is my current project, it's been neglected for the past ~6+ years due to the motor not running properly then blowing and the fixing process. Bought a DeWalt 849X and Marine 31 supplies with Lake Country pads so it's coming back to life now! Taking a lot of hours (expected), cant wait to see it when it's completely done. Lets just say the pics I have after just a wool pad and M31 Heavy Duty Oxidation Cleaner are 100x better than before (post them in a thread once I get it all done). And I havent even done the medium cut/final step polish/wax+sealant yet!
Old 07-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #6
kinder car care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
Ive used some Megs stuff in the past when helping my dad, but I think he did it was a POS generic 10" orbital. But we did it yearly, so the boat stayed looking pretty good. Fast forward to ~2006-7 and I used more Megs products to do my parent's new boat with a PC 7424xp which worked well.

The old boat is my current project, it's been neglected for the past ~6+ years due to the motor not running properly then blowing and the fixing process. Bought a DeWalt 849X and Marine 31 supplies with Lake Country pads so it's coming back to life now! Taking a lot of hours (expected), cant wait to see it when it's completely done. Lets just say the pics I have after just a wool pad and M31 Heavy Duty Oxidation Cleaner are 100x better than before (post them in a thread once I get it all done). And I havent even done the medium cut/final step polish/wax+sealant yet!
to Marine31 Erik

Hey Erik would love to see some pics of your project and the out come you've got to so far, would be a great start and we all on here learn something new from each other and maybe new and better ways or idea's. I've picked up several ideal's and a couple new techniques and bettered my work.

How do you like the Heavy Cut Oxidation Cleaner? It took me really a couple 10 hour days to get used to it but now I love it! Ran out of a 32 oz. bottle on that houseboat and the panic set in! Went to the closest marina that had some name brand boat compound (190+ mile round trip) just so I could keep compounding and moving along until my HCOC bottle got here. Funny thing is this other compound did a pretty good job I thought, until I met up to where I stopped with it with my HCOC. I had to go back over that whole section area that the other guys compound did because in the right angle looking up at it, you could clearly tell a difference in the two products. I was not a happy camper that day!

Anyway glad your on here and making some great improvement with Marine 31 products, would love to see some pics of what you have so far.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
ScarabEpic22

I've been taking lots of pics Daniel, doing this after work and on the weekends between other things so uploading pics from the camera are taking a back seat! Usually starting after work ~5:30 working til 9pm (dark). Definitely not the fastest way, but with my schedule and my dad's it's the best we've got.

It's become very apparent I need to wetsand the boat to get rid of a lot of medium/deep scrathes but it's just not going to happen anytime soon. My dad and I are happy with the results so far just getting all the oxidation out of the gelcoat, wet sanding might be next year.

Starting with 3 passes of HCOC with Lake Country wool pads on my Dewalt 749X ~1200-1400rpm. Going to finish up the last bit of it tonight, then hopefully get started on the Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer w/Lake Country Orange foam pad.

My Plan:
Dewalt 749X

1. 3 passes Heavy Cut Oxidation Cleaner, Lake Country wool pads, ~1200-1400rpm [<2hrs work left]
2. 1 pass Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer,Lake Country Orange foam pad, unsure on speed right now
3. 1 pass Gel Coat Final Step Polish,Lake Country White foam pad, unsure on speed right now
4. 1 pass Wax & Sealant, Lake Country Blue foam pad, unsure on speed right now

(Sorry for the thread hijack! I'll start my own once I get a little more time. )
Old 07-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
kinder car care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
I've been taking lots of pics Daniel, doing this after work and on the weekends between other things so uploading pics from the camera are taking a back seat! Usually starting after work ~5:30 working til 9pm (dark). Definitely not the fastest way, but with my schedule and my dad's it's the best we've got.

It's become very apparent I need to wetsand the boat to get rid of a lot of medium/deep scrathes but it's just not going to happen anytime soon. My dad and I are happy with the results so far just getting all the oxidation out of the gelcoat, wet sanding might be next year.

Starting with 3 passes of HCOC with Lake Country wool pads on my Dewalt 749X ~1200-1400rpm. Going to finish up the last bit of it tonight, then hopefully get started on the Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer w/Lake Country Orange foam pad.

My Plan:
Dewalt 749X

1. 3 passes Heavy Cut Oxidation Cleaner, Lake Country wool pads, ~1200-1400rpm [<2hrs work left]
2. 1 pass Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer,Lake Country Orange foam pad, unsure on speed right now
3. 1 pass Gel Coat Final Step Polish,Lake Country White foam pad, unsure on speed right now
4. 1 pass Wax & Sealant, Lake Country Blue foam pad, unsure on speed right now

(Sorry for the thread hijack! I'll start my own once I get a little more time. )
Hey Erik,
*How much pressure are you applying with the HCOC?
I used 20+ or more with slow arm speed and on the Gel Coat I was working on it responded better with higher speed and finished out ready it seamed for LSP. I also would test each section of the boat when I moved into a different part because of the sun and where it had been setting for who knows how long, but I would try to always do 3 high speed very heavy pressure and lighten up on the last 1 or sometimes 2 passes with less speed and pressure.

I know each Gel Coat is different then the next but it seams like your doing to many steps?

After my HCOC I went straight for the HCCW with a pink cutting CCS foam pad also with high speed and heavy pressure and applied the same technique, 2 to 3 passes on this one and the 1 to 2 light speed and pressure.

And before each application of more product I would spur the daylight out of my wool pad and always brush off my foam pads and even clean my foam pad on the fly after 3 foot or so to make sure I didn't have any spent product or old oxidized gel coat on my pads.

Then when I was finished went over everything with wax and shine detail spray. Just telling my technique maybe help or give another idea if you haven't tried it or use it yet.

Good luck and be waiting to check her out!