Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Help selecting a buffer

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Help selecting a buffer
Old 08-15-2017, 01:21 AM   #21
magRT496

Default Re: Help selecting a buffer

Ok so big update - I caved and bought the Flex 3401. This tool is fantastic. It really gave me some great results and saved a lot of time. I attached a picture of my special edition pink flex. I chose the color because it came with a free bag but I actually kind of like the pink now lol.

I used an electrified wool pad and the captains one step compound and polish. The captains compound is really great stuff, and combined with the flex, made my 15 year old boat look damn near brand new.

Also, the yellowish tint that I thought was a stain was actually from a decal the previous owner removed. The captains compound actually blended it in pretty well and its a lot harder to see now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0145(1).JPG (69.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0144.JPG (75.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0143.JPG (74.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.JPG (43.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9818.JPG (81.5 KB, 4 views)
magRT496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #22
magRT496

Forgot to add I also put on a coat of the marine 31 wax and sealant. How often does this need to be reapplied?
magRT496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #23
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by magRT496 View Post

Ok so big update - I caved and bought the Flex 3401. This tool is fantastic. It really gave me some great results and saved a lot of time.
And this is why I featured it on the most valuable portion of any how-to book and that's on the front cover.

Quote:

I used an electrified wool pad and the captains one step compound and polish. The captains compound is really great stuff, and combined with the flex, made my 15 year old boat look damn near brand new.
And anyone that's read my book knows I strongly recommend this compound as it cuts great and finishes out like a polish and for most boat owns this is what they want and by cutting out the polishing step you save a lot of time.

Quote:

Also, the yellowish tint that I thought was a stain was actually from a decal the previous owner removed.

The captains compound actually blended it in pretty well and its a lot harder to see now.
And sometimes that's about all you can do without going nuts and sanding really deep into the gel-coat and even then it can be difficult to get 100% removed.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #24
Mike Phillips

Quote:

Forgot to add I also put on a coat of the marine 31 wax and sealant.

How often does this need to be reapplied?

Depends on how you use the boat.

IF the boat is never used and stored inside a boat barn then you won't have to apply it very often.

If the boat is on the water 7 days a week and 24 hours a day then you'll have to apply it more often.

Saltwater environments are even worse.

The key to keeping your boat looking like it does right now is an old quote of mine,

"Find something you like and use it often"

And in most cases for boats with gel-coat hulls that easily oxidize, you want to use a one-step cleaner/wax.

There are two in the Marine 31 Line, a heavy cut and a light cut.

If you buff your boat once a year get the heavy cut and apply with the FLEX 3401 and the wool pad.

If you buff your boat twice a year get the light cut and buff with the FLEX 3401 and a wool pad.