Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Boat Detailing 101 » Captain coating with uv 50

Notices

Boat Detailing 101 This is a a general or catch-all forum group. If you don't know where to post it then post it here.

Captain coating with uv 50
Old 08-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
ksbguy

Default Captain coating with uv 50

Hi,

I've been compounding/polishing and applying waxes/polymers for many years but I'm struggling with the uv50 coating.

I polished the surface to a high level of reflection and wiped it several times with a 50/50 denatured alcohol/water solution.

When applying the coating even in a 2 X 2 area it dries very quickly and I have to rub very hard with a microfiber to remove the excess.

Is this the nature of this type of coating? I used about three drops on the lake country applicator for a small area.

What about letting it dry on and going over it with a polishing pad on an orbital buffer? I realize that will remove some of the coating...

Another problem is I have a large boat to do and with the small lake country square pad it's going to be many days.

Thanks!
ksbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Captain coating with uv 50

It has a short working time, could have to do with being formulated for gel-coats specifically.

Try applying to a smaller area and only wait 30 seconds to give the section a wipe using a flat weave microfiber towel.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #3
ksbguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 View Post
It has a short working time, could have to do with being formulated for gel-coats specifically.

Try applying to a smaller area and only wait 30 seconds to give the section a wipe using a flat weave microfiber towel.

No go...

It dries very quickly. The only way I was able to somewhat use it is to do a very small area max 1 foot X 1 foot and wipe off with the microfiber as soon as I was done applying it. It is very difficult to remove if you wait after applying it back and forth and side to side. This was in a shaded panel on gelcoat close to sunset so the panel was cool. I had the same results trying it on the hood of the car...

The coating dries fast and I'm not able to hold the micro fiber on it to remove, it just bunches up the microfiber rag... Should the coating be wet when using the microfiber or is the idea to let it dry and buff off like a polymer or a wax?

Is this supposed to feel slippery like a waxed surface when finished? The only way I get that is to remove it immediately otherwise if I let it dry at all and buff it the surface feels grippy and never becomes slick like a waxed surface no matter how much I buff it by hand.

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by ksbguy; 08-30-2016 at 10:50 PM..
Old 09-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
Mike Phillips

Is it hot outside as you're working with the coating? This product has a short working time but neither I nor Nick have heard of anyone having this type of experience with the UV50 boat coating.

As for the feel of this coating and even most coating, the surface will not feel slippery after application, this is normal.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
ksbguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 View Post
Is it hot outside as you're working with the coating? This product has a short working time but neither I nor Nick have heard of anyone having this type of experience with the UV50 boat coating.

As for the feel of this coating and even most coating, the surface will not feel slippery after application, this is normal.

I'm in the NE, it was about 80 degrees outside and the areas I was working on were in the shade and cool to the touch. I've tried this several times now and I get the same results applying it first thing in the morning when it's 70 degrees so it's not temperature related.

Are you guys applying this indoors in temperature controlled environments? I can't do that, the boat is too large...

I've tried it on gelcoat and on paint and the results are the same. If I don't wipe it off almost immediately it's very difficult to remove the excess/level out the coating.

I'm putting 3 - 4 drops and applying on a 1 square foot area and wiping off almost immediately. This is the only way I'm able to use it without a lot of work to remove the excess.

Can you make a quick video of you applying it?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #6
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbguy View Post
I'm in the NE, it was about 80 degrees outside and the areas I was working on were in the shade and cool to the touch. I've tried this several times now and I get the same results applying it first thing in the morning when it's 70 degrees so it's not temperature related.

Are you guys applying this indoors in temperature controlled environments? I can't do that, the boat is too large...

I've tried it on gelcoat and on paint and the results are the same. If I don't wipe it off almost immediately it's very difficult to remove the excess/level out the coating.

I'm putting 3 - 4 drops and applying on a 1 square foot area and wiping off almost immediately. This is the only way I'm able to use it without a lot of work to remove the excess.

Can you make a quick video of you applying it?

I'll meet with Nick about this today and one of us will back to you.