Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Marine 31 Products - Made by boat people for boat people... » Compounds, Polishes and Waxes » Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner

Notices

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner
Old 05-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
Mike Phillips

Default Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner

Say goodbye to dull, faded, chalky gel coat!
Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner is the solution for chalky, heavily oxidized gel coat surfaces – standard and painted. Advanced diminishing abrasives quickly remove oxidation while lubricating oils ensure a long buffing cycle and easy wipe off. Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner will restore the shine and luster to the most neglected boats.

Not all marine-specific compounds and oxidation removers are created equal! Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner was developed and fine-tuned right here in south Florida, one of the most popular states for boating enthusiasts. Florida is called the sunshine state for good reason, so it was imperative that Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner be easy to use, even in direct sunlight.

The secret to the immense leveling ability of Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner lies in its advanced abrasive technology. Marine 31 pioneered a gel coat specific diminishing abrasive that quickly and effortlessly removes heavy oxidation, scratches and chalkiness without scouring or hazing the finish. Years of neglect will disappear right before your eyes, revealing a glossy finish worthy of a brand-new boat.

Unlike a traditional heavy cut marine compound, Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner is exceptionally easy to use, even in humid climates. You’ll quickly appreciate its long buffing cycle and easy wipe off. Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner can be applied by hand, circular polisher or dual action orbital polisher.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner is harbor safe and eco-friendly.

Directions:

1.Shake well before using and ensure surface is cool to the touch.

2.Apply an “X” of product directly onto heavy cutting foam or wool pad and spread product over a 2’ by 2’ area.

3.Circular polisher: Set speed between 1200 and 1800 RPM. Random Orbital polisher: Set speed between 6000 and 7000 OPM.

4.Practice a slow arm movement while applying medium pressure. Work product until it starts to turn clear.

5.Remove residue with a clean, dry microfiber towel.

For best results, follow up with Marine 31 Gel Coat Gloss & Color Restorer to further refine the surface and maximize gloss.

On Marine 31.com

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner - 16 oz.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner - 32 oz.

Made in USA

Old 05-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
BlitzDetailing

Default Re: Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner

Mike

Have you had a chance to compare this to the Megs or 3M marine compounds?
BlitzDetailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzDetailing View Post
Mike

Have you had a chance to compare this to the Megs or 3M marine compounds?

Not side-by-side yet but I've used them all and they all work. The Marine 31 Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner does cut very fast with a wool pad on a rotary buffer and it is formulated to be used in outdoor environments.

I'll have some very oxidized boats coming up as soon as I can schedule them and then I'll be sharing a full before and after write-up.

Give it a try...

Old 05-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
tropicsteve

hey mike, i know rotary buffers are the usual go to tool for heavy oxidation, but do you think i can get by with my griots da with a microfiber cutting pad ?
tropicsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
hey mike, i know rotary buffers are the usual go to tool for heavy oxidation, but do you think i can get by with my griots da with a microfiber cutting pad ?

The honest answer is "yes" it's possible but the practical answer is its going to take a heck of a lot longer.

Time to get a rotary buffer and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it...

Old 05-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #6
BlitzDetailing

Quote:

I did my very first boat with a GG 6" and a crap load of pads. It came out nice but a rotary tool would of saved me time and gave me better cut etc. It can be done as Mike states but not the optimal way to do it.

Now I have a rotary and wont look back especially for boats
BlitzDetailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
tropicsteve

i made the jump today and ordered a makita 9227C rotary kit. a flex would have been nice, but i think this will definitely help.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Mike Phillips

Quote:
i made the jump today and ordered a Makita 9227C rotary kit. a flex would have been nice, but i think this will definitely help.

My first rotary buffer was a Makita and it served me well for many years...

Side of buffer worn smooth after years of buffing...

Lego man on my keychain reflecting off worn area on buffer

Here's what the head looked of the buffer looked like before. It has a rough texture because the aluminum was cast in a sand mold

If you don't have a steel spur for cleaning wool pads get one, they work so much better than a screwdriver.

IF you start detailing lots of boats you're also going to want a pad washer as it really makes all aspects of machine compounding with wool pads on gel-coat hulls faster and easier to buff with a clean pad.

Pad Cleaning Spur

Old 05-20-2013, 05:06 PM   #9
tropicsteve

wow, that rotary has definitely seen some use. hopefully mine will hold as well as yours. i did order the same lc spur also. thanks !
Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
Turas

Hello every one. I am new to all this. I have had many boat over my life but my first love (1989 Mastercraft) needs so love. I purchased the Blackfire Flex Swirl remover kit to work on the newer one (2012) and some cars. From what I have read and understand I need to get more power and use a rotary with wool or a hard cutting pad. I don't do it for money but 4 years for difrent people working on my boats not one has made it look good. I am not cheap and may be hard to please. I feel that with some more time and info I may be able to have the finsh like the day I got them or better. Any info will be very nice.

The 2012 looked great with the kit but the 1989 needs more help with Ox on the black.

Thank You
Tim
Turas is offline   Reply With Quote