Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Boat Detailing 101 » Uv50

Notices

Boat Detailing 101 This is a a general or catch-all forum group. If you don't know where to post it then post it here.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:05 AM   #1
Formula45

Default Uv50

Once boat is cleaned and the UV50 applied and has cured can you apply. Captains sealant and carnival wax over it? I wash my boat with Marine 31 wash with wax, will this have any effect on boat coated with UV50.:thank-you
Formula45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Uv50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula45 View Post

Once boat is cleaned and the UV50 applied and has cured can you apply. Captains sealant and carnauba wax over it?
Yes. Applying a non-cleaning wax over coating won't hurt the coating and at some level creates a secondary layer of protection.

That said, when you apply any wax over any coating you lose the characteristics of the coating and gain the characteristics of the wax at least until the wax wears off and then you're back to getting the characteristics of the coating.

Characteristics of a coating include,
  • Self-cleaning effect.
  • Faster washing and drying.
  • More resistant to dirt and staining.
  • More resistant to oxidation.
People ask this same question in the automotive world, that is can you apply a wax or sealant over a coating and the answer is "yes" but you lose the characteristics of the coating and gain the characteristics of the wax or sealant because the wax or sealant coating is now what is on the top of the surface.

Make sense?

The coating is still under the wax or sealant and as the wax and sealant wear off the coating takes over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula45 View Post

I wash my boat with Marine 31 wash with wax, will this have any effect on boat coated with UV50.:thank-you
No negative effects. You should notice the boat washes faster and dries faster.