Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Boat Detailing 101 » My Pads... Is it me?

Notices

Boat Detailing 101 This is a a general or catch-all forum group. If you don't know where to post it then post it here.

My Pads... Is it me?
Old 08-16-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
route66detail

Default My Pads... Is it me?

Hey guys its Rob (Route 66 Mobile Detail) again. I hope you have all had a great weekend. I had drill (with the Navy Reserves working on the Boeing 737) this weekend so my weekend was pretty jammed up.
I have a question about my pads. So far I've detailed 2 vehicles with the white pads. (One for each vehicle). I'm concerned about the condition of the pads as I progressed with the jobs.
As I was towards the end of the process (one step cleaner wax XMT 360), I noticed the pads were looking a bit darkish. You could see the pink spots where I placed the pea sized dabs of product after I of course PRIMED the pads. BUT....throughout the pad otherwise.... there seems to be darker (grayish) something going on all over the pads. Ill put a picture on here asap.
I'm curious as to what I've done wrong if anything. Have I completely botched the exterior cleaning to get these results on my pads? I thought I did a pretty good job cleaning the vehicle but I'm not naïve to think I may NOT have.

Anyone get these results on your pads after using them on a DA polisher? Please help. I couldn't help but feeling like a turd bag when I saw this.

Rob- Route 66 Mobile Detail
Old 08-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #2
professionalpolishing

Default Re: My Pads... Is it me?

Washing pads regularly with a pad washer or in the washing machine is key. I would never use a pad twice without washing it first.
professionalpolishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
Dapper Don

What type and how many pads do you have?? Are you using them for multiple products?
Dapper Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
route66mobiledetail

Dapper Don. Thanks for your question. So far Ive used the white Lake Country pads. Using only XMT 360 cleaner wax. We have only 3 or 4 of the black, pink, green and white. We will get boxes of each since we now realize using a few is essential to getting a job done faster.
route66mobiledetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66detail View Post

I have a question about my pads. So far I've detailed 2 vehicles with the white pads. (One for each vehicle). I'm concerned about the condition of the pads as I progressed with the jobs.

As I was towards the end of the process (one step cleaner wax XMT 360), I noticed the pads were looking a bit darkish. You could see the pink spots where I placed the pea sized dabs of product after I of course PRIMED the pads. BUT....throughout the pad otherwise.... there seems to be darker (grayish) something going on all over the pads.
Does it look something like this?

It's the IMPACTED dirt staining like road film on the paint transferring onto your pads as you abrade the surface.

This will happen anytime you detail a daily driver as the paint on daily drivers gets dirty and it's NOT the type of dirt that will wash off or clay off.

I have a number of in-depth articles that show with pictures and explain exactly the issue.

How to remove stains and embedded dirt out of paint <--picture above came from this article.

Here's why you need to polish paint... <--Very good pictures and a video

Dirt in Paint or DIP - Stained Paint - Dirt Embedded Paint

Bonus article.....

Single Stage Paint - Tinted Clears - Basecoat/Clearcoat - Embedded Dirt

Try to find this on any other forum or on Facebook....

Old 08-30-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
route66detail

Mike,

Thanks! I really thought I was doing something wrong to get my pads looking that way. It's unbelievable. Before I got into detailing, I really thought washing with a brush or sponge was all that was needed to clean a car, motorcycle etc... Thanks for the links! They are really helpfull to us as we continue to learn how to be better at what we do. I would be lost without the info that is available on the forums.

Rob- Route 66 Mobile Detail
Old 08-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Mike Phillips

No problemo....

The pictures in those articles really do a good job of explaining the issue.