Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Left Boat in Salt Water Too Long

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Left Boat in Salt Water Too Long
Old 06-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
coasttal

Default Left Boat in Salt Water Too Long

I have a flats boat that I left in the salt water for over 3 weeks. I have a solid coating of barnacles. I want to remove those barnacles and get the hull back to the smooth gelcoat. So far I have scraped, carefully, and got the bulk of barnacles off. I have used Mary Kate On/Off, which does a great job for getting the green out, but I still have the rough feel of where the barnacles have left that mark. What is left is above the gelcoat. Vinegar will not get it to come loose and neither the On/Off.

I do not want to bottom paint.

What are my options? And how-to?

Many thanks in advance.

Honestly, this would be a great show for Ship Shape as I am sure I am not the only one that has had this happen to them, or has bought a boat to restore.
coasttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
professionalpolishing

Default Re: Left Boat in Salt Water Too Long

Sanding, buffing, and polishing might be in order. Where u made the mistake is not getting them off as soon as you pulled it out. If you get on them right away they are a lot softer and can be removed completely in most cases.
professionalpolishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Left Boat in Salt Water Too Long

At this time we don't have any products specifically for removing the remnants left on the hull from barnacles.

I did some searching with Google and found some options that seem to work for other guys here.

Barnacle's - How to remove?

Looks like the best advice besides the various gel removers and rigid scrapers is to get right on this after you pull the boat out of the water before the barnacles dry and then solidify their contact to your hull.

I'll tell John Greviskis about this thread on our forum as I think you're correct in that a lot of people run into this problem and the how-to for undoing the damage would make a great segment.