Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Polishing/Removing Holograms after Marine 31 Heavy Oxidation remover

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Polishing/Removing Holograms after Marine 31 Heavy Oxidation remover
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
geaux_preaux

Default Polishing/Removing Holograms after Marine 31 Heavy Oxidation remover

Started using the Marine 31 product line this year and really fell in love with the Marine 31 Heavy oxidation remover. It cuts faster than another commonly used marine product line, and leaves very faint halo's and buffer trails. I'm using the heavy oxidation remover with a dewalt rotary 879x, with double sided 100% wool pads. It finishes out great, but when i go to polish out the halo's with Marine 31 AIO, or Marine 31 Final Step polish it "dulls" the surface, and leaves a few buffer lines. I have tried using the dewalt with a black polishing pad at varying speeds, a flex vrg 3401 with white lake country pad, green lake country pad, and black polishing pad, and i have also tried the griots DA with same pads as the flex and still not getting 90-100% correction like I am wanting. I did have a few older 6.5" PFW pads and i tried them on the dewalt and the flex. The dewalt gave better results, but still leaving faint halos and trails. The only way i can see the marks is when i have my halogen lights at an angle on the surface. Any thoughts or pad combo's that i should be using with the polishes to get where i want it? Thanks
geaux_preaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Polishing/Removing Holograms after Marine 31 Heavy Oxidation remover

That's a tough one....

For some reason gel-coats simply like wool pads and aggressive compounds.

Hang on....

Old 05-08-2015, 12:01 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Polishing/Removing Holograms after Marine 31 Heavy Oxidation remover

Here's the pad and product combo that I've found to work wonders...

The Flex 3401 with blue 6.5" Hybrid Foam Cutting pads with the Captain's One-Step Compound & Polish.

First the compound is simply the best for but cutting and finishing with wool and foam pads.

To get away from the swirls you need three things,

1. Flex 3401 because it offers forced oscillation, that means power without the holograms.

2. The right abrasive technology
The Captain's One-Step Compound and Polish uses a very different type of abrasive technology than our Heavy Cut Oxidation Cleaner. Both are compounds, they just use different abrasive technology and I have to tip my hand to the Captains Compound for best finishing results.

3. A medium sharp foam pad
The Blue Lake Country Hybrid pad is a light cutting foam pad, not as aggressive as the orange cutting pad in the Lake Country Hybrid line but quite a bit more aggressive than the white or yellow polishing pads.

I find this combination of tool, pad and product to give you the best results without the holograms of a fiber pad and the dulling of soft foam pads.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
geaux_preaux

I have some yellow wool polishing pads on the way for the dewalt, and some thing PFW pads for the flex. I will be trying that combo out next week. I'll post my results. Thanks Mike for the quick reply.
geaux_preaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:10 AM   #5
Addicted2Bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_preaux View Post
Started using the Marine 31 product line this year and really fell in love with the Marine 31 Heavy oxidation remover. It cuts faster than another commonly used marine product line, and leaves very faint halo's and buffer trails. I'm using the heavy oxidation remover with a dewalt rotary 879x, with double sided 100% wool pads. It finishes out great, but when i go to polish out the halo's with Marine 31 AIO, or Marine 31 Final Step polish it "dulls" the surface, and leaves a few buffer lines. I have tried using the dewalt with a black polishing pad at varying speeds, a flex vrg 3401 with white lake country pad, green lake country pad, and black polishing pad, and i have also tried the griots DA with same pads as the flex and still not getting 90-100% correction like I am wanting. I did have a few older 6.5" PFW pads and i tried them on the dewalt and the flex. The dewalt gave better results, but still leaving faint halos and trails. The only way i can see the marks is when i have my halogen lights at an angle on the surface. Any thoughts or pad combo's that i should be using with the polishes to get where i want it? Thanks
You're always going to have to do 2 steps if you want a swirl free finish. I've tried using the Flex on boats before, and although it leaves a better finish, it takes a lot longer, and it doesn't get the edges and corners as nice as a rotary. The Flex is better for removing holograms.

I suggest using a good boat compound first, followed by a polishing wax with a FLEX to remove holograms. There is literally no way to do it in one step unless you want to be there all day with a FLEX.
Addicted2Bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
You're always going to have to do 2 steps if you want a swirl free finish. I've tried using the Flex on boats before, and although it leaves a better finish, it takes a lot longer, and it doesn't get the edges and corners as nice as a rotary. The Flex is better for removing holograms.

I suggest using a good boat compound first, followed by a polishing wax with a FLEX to remove holograms. There is literally no way to do it in one step unless you want to be there all day with a FLEX.

I agree.

Boat detailing is craft that really requires more than just one tool.

Sad to say most boat detailers only use a rotary buffer and leave every boat they buff out filled with a scratch pattern we call holograms. It's not really all their fault though because the market, (boat owners) are use to paying low prices to have their boat detailed so the boat detailing industry caters to their market.

I'm trying to change the industry with a two pronged approach,
  • Education
  • Training

Here's the education, the only article I know of on the problem.

Holograms in gel-coat boats by Mike Phillips

And as of this morning it has over 20,000 views on this forum. (It's also on TheHullTruth.com). So someone's reading it?

Then training by showing guys a two step approach,
  1. Start with the rotary
  2. Finish with the Flex 3401

Pictures & Comments: Marine 31 Boat Detailing Class - May 2015

DeWALT Rotary Buffer with a wool cutting pad

Flex 3401 with a foam cutting pad

Then of coarse, seal the gel-coat surface.