Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » Flex XC3401 proper pad

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

Flex XC3401 proper pad
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #1
Captainzim

Default Flex XC3401 proper pad

Hi This is first post. I have a xc3401 and wanted to know what pads to use on a 26 foot Twin Vee Catamaran. I have medium oxidation and would like to use your compound and wax in one step. My boat is in Northern WI and was wondering if once a year in the spring would keep it looking good. We have a 5 month use up here. Also will the XC3401 work or should I use something else?
Thanks
Captainzim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Nick

Default Re: Flex XC3401 proper pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainzim View Post
Hi This is first post. I have a xc3401 and wanted to know what pads to use on a 26 foot Twin Vee Catamaran. I have medium oxidation and would like to use your compound and wax in one step. My boat is in Northern WI and was wondering if once a year in the spring would keep it looking good. We have a 5 month use up here. Also will the XC3401 work or should I use something else?
Thanks
Hello and welcome to Marine31 Online!

I would personally recommend using a Lake Country 6.5 inch Purple Foamed Wool pad for your project. This pad is aggressive enough to cut through the oxidation, but advanced enough in its design not to scour or haze the finish.

You can use this pad with either of our compounds (Heavy-Cut Oxidation Cleaner or Gloss & Color Restorer) or either of our AIO's (All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax or Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax).

Thanks to the direct drive, forced rotation of the FLEX XC3401, this tool is more than capable of removing light to moderate oxidation and staining.

For maximum protection and shine, I would follow up the AIO (all in one) with Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant. This product is well worth the extra step because it's going to add more shine and more importantly, better protection. I would apply this with a Lake Country BLUE Finessing Pad - 6.5 inches.

Foamed Wool 6.5 x 1 Thick Polishing / Buffing Pad

CCS 6.5 inch Blue Finessing Pad

Marine 31 Gel Coat Carnauba Wax + Sealant

Be sure to post before and after pictures!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

I'd agree with Nick....

For this project, we started with wool pads on rotary buffers but finished with the Purple Foamed Wool pads on the Flex 3401 with the heavy cut cleaner/wax.

24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal

While some of use were compounding the black gel-coat, others were tacklinging the white gel-coat cap using PFWs or Purple Foamed Wool Pads with our new Gel-Coat Heavy Cut Cleaner/Wax and Flex 3401 Forced Rotation Dual Action Polishers.

The fibers that make up the PFWs are encapsulated with foam and this creates a pad that offers good correction due to the fibers leveraging any abrasive or chemical cleaners while the foam helps to maintain good gloss for finishing.

The forced rotation Flex 3401 provides plenty of power without instilling swirls at the same time.

Joeseph using a Flex 3401 with a 4" Backing Plate and a 4" PFW

Chris using a Flex 3401 with the factory 5.5" backing plate and a 6.5" PFW

Shawn using a Flex 3401 with the factory 5.5" backing plate and a 6.5" PFW

Den using a Flex 3401 with a 4" PFW

Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Captainzim

Thanks just what I was looking for. Will be ordering them next few weeks as up here the ice is 20 inches thick and boat is in hiding.
Captainzim is offline   Reply With Quote