Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Boat Trailer Restoration & Maintenance » Restoring Aluminum Coastline Trailer

Notices

Boat Trailer Restoration & Maintenance How to keep your boat trailer looking brand new or how to restore a neglected boat trailer to match your detailed boat.

Restoring Aluminum Coastline Trailer
Old 02-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #1
jpatchley

Default Restoring Aluminum Coastline Trailer

Hey everyone,

I haven't posted in awhile, but I've been working on cleaning up my trailer/restoring its lost luster. I've purchased Mike P's book and put the knowledge in it to use.

First off, some before pictures.

The full boat

Close ups of trailer

First off, I had to look up what type of metal Coastline trailers were. I looked at the manufacturers website and saw that they are aluminum. Knowing this, I headed over to Mike P's book to page 93. I placed the trailer in Category 3.

Aluminum in category 3 has 4 steps:

1. Wash and rinse off loose surface dirt.
2. Remove oxidation, water spots, and stains.
3. Re-polish to remove any holograms or buffer trails.
4. Seal the polished aluminum.

Step 1 was easy enough, and done when I thoroughly washed the boat. Step 2. For this step I used the Flex 3401 paired with a purple wool pad and Mothers California Gold Metal Polish.

Also, don't forget to bring plenty of throwaway microfiber towels. Removing the spent polish is much easier with clean towels. I found that polishing the trailer twice with 6 passes seemed to work best. I never switched to a foam pad as I was pretty happy with the results and didn't really see any buffer trails. Also, don't forget the wool pad spur. It's super important to clean your pad after ever section pass. If not done, the pad seemed to gum up and the correction ability wasn't as great.

After Polishing

After using spur

So far I've only worked on the neck of the trailer. Here are some before and afters.

I'll update this post as I go around the trailer. I have not done step 4 as I am waiting for my sealer to come in.

One question, I've seem to have lost the bolt on one side of my flex polisher for the handle. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement?

jpatchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
jpatchley

Default Re: Restoring Aluminum Coastline Trailer

I was able to work on my project a little more yesterday. Here are some pics.

The bottom beam is the beam I pushed super hard on, the top I used less pressure. The difference in clarity is noticeable.

I've realized I can get much better results if I press super hard while polishing. The clarity greatly improves but it is alot of work. I'm wondering if this trailer doesn't fall into more of category 4 based on the last picture shown above. I cannot get the little black specs out for the life of me. Is it worth possibly sanding to get rid of them? What could these black specs be, just water spots that have sat on the trailer forever?

I'm tempted to buy the sanding pads and see how much of an improvement I can get.

Thoughts Mike?

Old 02-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

First let me say....

IMPRESSIVE RESULTS!!!!!

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen anyone tackle an aluminum trailer before. Aluminum boat yes, but the trailer?

Way to get after it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatchley View Post

I'm wondering if this trailer doesn't fall into more of category 4 based on the last picture shown above.
Yes, I'd say it easily falls into Category #4 as described in my book

Category #4 is defined in the chapter on detailing aluminum, which is the section titled,

Pontoon Boats and Polished Aluminum - Pages 93 to 98

Quote:

I cannot get the little black specs out for the life of me.

Is it worth possibly sanding to get rid of them?

What could these black specs be, just water spots that have sat on the trailer forever?

They look like gouges from some type of grinding disc back when the trailer was probably fabricated.

Quote:

I'm tempted to buy the sanding pads and see how much of an improvement I can get.

Thoughts Mike?

It would require a LOT of sanding because you would have to level the upper portions of the surface with the lowest depths of the gouges to make them "visibly" disappear.

If it were my trailer I would be happy with what you've already achieved.

Thanks for sharing by the way!

Old 02-11-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Mike Phillips

For anyone reading this into the future you can get your own copy of my boat detailing book here,

On Marine31.com

How To Detail Boats With Marine 31 by Mike Phillips

Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
jpatchley

Thanks Mike, I'll keep doing what I'm doing then. Do you happen to know where I can order a replacement bolt for the flex handle?

No but you can take the one you still have to Lowe's or Home Depot and match it up with a metric replacement.