Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Boat Detailing 101 » Removing Captain's Boat Coating

Notices

Boat Detailing 101 This is a a general or catch-all forum group. If you don't know where to post it then post it here.

Removing Captain's Boat Coating
Old 08-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #11
dufrsp31

Default Re: Removing Captain's Boat Coating

Hi Mike,
Is compounding/polishing the only way to remove the Captain's coating? I'm just curious if using the "wrong" soap or any other cleaners will strip it like it will wax. I've always used a PH balanced soap to clean my boat and also stayed away from using stuff like 409, Spray 9, etc. Is it ok to use those types of products without worrying that it will strip the coating?
Thanks!
Shannon
dufrsp31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Removing Captain's Boat Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufrsp31 View Post
Hi Mike,
Is compounding/polishing the only way to remove the Captain's coating? I'm just curious if using the "wrong" soap or any other cleaners will strip it like it will wax. I've always used a PH balanced soap to clean my boat and also stayed away from using stuff like 409, Spray 9, etc. Is it ok to use those types of products without worrying that it will strip the coating?
Thanks!
Shannon

For the most part "yes".

If the boat is gel-coat, because gel-coat is more porous than marine specialty paints it will be easier to remove a coating of gel-coat than off paint.

Just wash careful.

If you do have to remove or if you want to remove it and re-apply then the Captain's Compound will do the trick.