Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Metal Polishing » How To Machine Polish Oxidized Aluminum Diamond Plate

Notices

Metal Polishing How to remove oxidation and polish to perfection aluminum, stainless, brass, chrome, and copper surfaces.

How To Machine Polish Oxidized Aluminum Diamond Plate
Old 05-28-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Mike Phillips

Default How To Machine Polish Oxidized Aluminum Diamond Plate

How To Machine Polish Oxidized Aluminum Diamond Plate

Last week we shot some new how-to videos on boat detailing with Marine 31 Products and after we were finished I was left with a boat to wax and one fender to polish.

Here's a few before and after shots to show the difference but the most important thing I'd like to share is that when machine polishing oxidized diamond plate aluminum fenders, this type of project doesn't require,
  • Much skill
  • Much time
But the results from the time and effort adds a LOT to the appearance of the trailer fenders and maintains the value of the boat trailer.

The most important thing I did was to tape off the aluminum frame the fenders were bolted between to avoid getting black oxidized residue on the frame aluminum and that too was very simple.

First... if you look closely you can see in this first picture I've already buffed out the back half of the fender, that was for a video project. Now I need to finish the front half.

Tip...
Also note the amount of black residue on my microfiber towel? Aluminum polishing is very messy and chances are good you'll have black stains left in whatever towel you decide to use, so keep this in mind when choosing microfiber towels from your microfiber towel collection and consider choosing microfiber towels that are already too tatty for use on the topside, clear plastics or the hull.

Here's what the aluminum looked like before it was buffed out. It is stained with water spots and oxidation.

Here's what the aluminum looks like after some quick buffing with a wool pad on a rotary buffer...

Huge difference in finish quality and appearance...

In this shot you can see the section of the frame I taped-off and all of the diamond plate from the tape to the can sitting on top of the fender has been polished and is covered with dark black polishing residue...

Any towel you use will end up looking like this so choose towels that it won't bother you if they are a little stained after metal polishing...

And here's the end-results...

Metal Polishing Tips

Wash dry or wipe clean any metal surface before you start so you don't grind previously accumulated dirt into the aluminum.

Choose a buffing pad recommended for metal polishing.

Use a rotary buffer that offers a low RPM range as low RPMs make it easier to spread the polish around without getting it all over the place.

Spread the aluminum polish over the diamond plate in the area you're going to buff. You can use a spatula or your finger. You can also a little product directly to the face of the buffing pad.

Run you polisher between 1000 RPM and 1500 RPMs.

Hold the body of the rotary buffer so you're buffing on the edge of your buffing pads to get in and around the actual stamped diamond pattern in the metal.

Clean your pad after the initial cut and re-polish using less product, less pressure and a faster arm movement to really bring up the shine.

Pad Cleaning

Machine polishing oxidized aluminum is going to really load the face of your buffing pad up with oxidation and spent metal polish.

Step 1
Place one full scoop of Marine 31 Polishing Pad Cleaner into your Marine 31 Pad Washer and mix thoroughly.

Step 2
Place your buffing pad into the pad washer and close the splash guard lid.

Step 3

Run the polisher around 1000 RPM to 1300 RPM and at the same time pump the pad up and down against the insert inside the pad washer.

After pumping the pad up and down for about a minute, lift the polisher up to lift the buffing pad off the pad cleaning insert and then increase the RPM's to the high setting to sling out any excess water from your buffing pad using centrifugal force.

Done!

Your pad will now be clean and ready to put back to work machine buffing metal.

Important
Dedicate your pads for the way in which the are used.

Have dedicated pads for metal polishing, fiberglas gel-coat polishing and paint polishing, don't mix-and-match pads to different products and surfaces. For example, don't use a pad you've been using to buff oxidized aluminum to buff a gel-coat finish.

Also, after all pad cleaning is over from your metal polishing project, be sure to wash out and thoroughly clean your pad washer before mixing fresh pad cleaner and water to clean pads being used on gel-coat or paint.

On Marine31.com

Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish
6.5 inch Lake Country Level 1 Pre-polishing Wool Pad.
A wool pad spur from Lake Country
Flex PE14-2-150 Rotary Polisher
Marine 31 Pad Cleaner
Marine 31 Polishing Pad Cleaner

Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #2
Dapper Don

Default Re: How To Machine Polish Oxidized Aluminum Diamond Plate

I have the Griots 6" DA polisher but no rotarty, can I use that on diamond plate as well? If so, what pads would you recommend?
Dapper Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #3
Addicted2Bling

A DA won't do anything, you have to use a rotary.
Addicted2Bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:31 AM   #4
Dapper Don

Okay, so rotary it is. Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #5
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post

A DA won't do anything, you have to use a rotary.

The reason a simple dual action polisher like the Griot's Garage 6" DA won't do anything is because this tool like other DA polishers are NOT direct drive and what this means is when you push the pad against a surface and especially at an angle, (like you would do for diamond plate), the pad won't rotate.

If the pad is not rotating you are not doing anything.

A rotary buffer is a gear driven, single rotation action tool and with a wool pad and a good metal polish you basically grind off a lot of dead, oxidized aluminum real fast.

Get a steel spur too to keep your pad clean.

Pad Cleaning Spur

Old 05-29-2015, 12:48 PM   #6
Dapper Don

Okay so I got my order in with Nick yesterday afternoon and today I have the Marine 31 polishing paste, LC wool pad, backing plate, and spur with the rest of my gear. I will be heading to the marina this evening to start the restoration of my 2004 Sea Ray Sundancer using all of the Marine 31 products that Nick has advised me on. Another question I have is will this polish/pad combo work to shine up my stainless steel outdrive props?
Old 06-01-2015, 01:12 PM   #7
Dapper Don

Wow, this forum is a little...underwhelming with activity.

Old 06-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #8
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Don View Post
Okay so I got my order in with Nick yesterday afternoon and today I have the Marine 31 polishing paste, LC wool pad, backing plate, and spur with the rest of my gear. I will be heading to the marina this evening to start the restoration of my 2004 Sea Ray Sundancer using all of the Marine 31 products that Nick has advised me on. Another question I have is will this polish/pad combo work to shine up my stainless steel outdrive props?
Quote:

I was off all weekend (yes, it does happen every now and then! ) and Mike has been out in California working on a special project the last couple days, so I apologize for the delayed response.

To answer your question, YES that pad/polish combo can be used on your props. They will look great!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:39 AM   #9
Dapper Don

LOL! Well as hard as you work I am sure you deserved it. No worries about the response time, I was just busting chops a little.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
Mike Phillips

Quote:

I've been running forums professionally since 2004 and what makes a forum busy is exactly the word you used.... activity. Activity would be detailing boats, taking before and after pictures and then sharing the pictures via the forum.

So whenever I have a boat detail I share it on this forum. That creates activity. Members sharing their boat detailing projects also creates activity.

Stay tuned... more boat detailing write-ups coming soon...