Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Metal Polishing » Polishing Railing

Notices

Metal Polishing How to remove oxidation and polish to perfection aluminum, stainless, brass, chrome, and copper surfaces.

Polishing Railing
Old 06-04-2014, 11:52 AM   #1
kinder car care

Default Polishing Railing

Got a question on polishing faded & dull aluminum railing with Meguiars M205 and/or Meguiars Ultimate Compound or should I use Ultimate Polish. I know to do a test spot first but don't have the time right now and have to start on it first thing in the morning and have a 2010 SS Camaro I'm having to do a 2 step polish on, so just trying to get a general Ideal.

Have a unopened 32oz bottle of M105, a little more then half of a 32oz bottle of M205 and about 10oz of ultimate compound on my shelf. Will be getting the Marine 31 line of metal polishing but for now this is what I've got to work with and I just made a order from AG for the Flex 3401, marine 31 64oz.wax & shine spray/ 64oz. heavy-cut cleaner wax/ 64oz. AIO polish & wax/ 32oz. heavy-cut oxidation cleaner/ 5) pink 6.5 LC CCS PADS & 3) green 6.5 LC CCS pads along with a couple other things from Shurhold & grit guard universal pad washer.

Thinking about using my harbor freight 6'' DA with some polishing pads and some M205 should do the job well and put the shine back to them and if I run out would ultimate polish be sufficient enough to do the job with bumping the speed and/or pressure up, Thanks

Also what Marine 31 metal polish should I get to start out with, will be stocking up on all the marine line but just to get me by for now.

Here's the boat I will be starting on tomorrow, and out of the products I've got coming in what would you use and on what? This will be the first time using any boat products, used meguiars mild clay/body scrub (remember that one?)and M80 on one other boat I did years ago.

kinder car care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Polishing Railing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinder car care View Post

Got a question on polishing faded & dull aluminum railing with Meguiars M205 and/or Meguiars Ultimate Compound or should I use Ultimate Polish.

Thinking about using my harbor freight 6'' DA with some polishing pads and some M205 should do the job well and put the shine back to them and if I run out would ultimate polish be sufficient enough to do the job with bumping the speed and/or pressure up, Thanks
The M205 should work and if it doesn't the M105 will for sure. A dedicated aluminum polish will normally work better on the finishing side as far as creating a chrome-like appearance.

That said, dull aluminum will shine up with just about anything. I'd be tempted to use a wool pad on a rotary buffer myself.

Definitely use my finger painting technique and use your finger to simply spread out and apply a coat of polish around the aluminum tube railing. A thin coat will work and help cut down on spatter slinging all over the rest of the boat.

Finger Painting Technique when using a Rotary Buffer

Old 06-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

Quote:

Also what Marine 31 metal polish should I get to start out with, will be stocking up on all the marine line but just to get me by for now.
My favorite is the Stainless Steel and Aluminum Brightening Soap like you see used here,

Metal Polishing the EASY WAY!
The stainless steel prop has the beginning signs of rust, these props are very expensive so my advice to boat owners is anytime you have your boat out of the water, take a few minutes to quickly polish the prop to clean it and protect it.

Eric is using Marine 31 Stainless Steel and Aluminum Brightening Soap which is probably the easiest metal polish and metal polishing method to clean, polish and protect all metal surfaces.

Here's how easy it is...

1. Start by getting the included sponge wet with water and then wring it out.

2. Then swipe the sponge across the soap in the jar.

3. Rub the sponge and the metal polishing soap over the surface.

4. Wipe or rinse the surface clean.

Check it out....

Clean, shiny AND protected!

But this type of metal polish doesn't lend itself well to machine use but YOU COULD USE IT by machine. Just spread some of this metal polishing soap onto the face of your pad using a spatula or even the clean handle of your PC wrench.

Check this out....

Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish On Pontoon's

Before

After

Before

After

On Marine31.com

Marine 31 Finish Cut Metal Restoring Polish

Old 06-04-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Mike Phillips

Quote:

Here's the boat I will be starting on tomorrow,

Quote:

and out of the products I've got coming in what would you use and on what?

Have a
  • unopened 32oz bottle of M105,
  • a little more then half of a 32oz bottle of M205
  • 10oz of ultimate compound
I just made a order from AG for the

Flex 3401,
marine 31 64oz.wax & shine spray

64oz. heavy-cut cleaner wax

64oz. AIO polish & wax

32oz. heavy-cut oxidation cleaner

5) pink 6.5 LC CCS PADS

3) green 6.5 LC CCS pads

Question....
I see all the multi-colores on the hull?

Is this painted or gel-coat?

Or are those vinyl graphics? That is the three stripes going around the boat?

Old 06-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
kinder car care

Sorry Mike,

The strips are painted on, and the gentleman stated it was painted 4 years ago, You can run your hand on the white and you will have white oxidation on your hand.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Sorry Mike,

The strips are painted on, and the gentleman stated it was painted 4 years ago, You can run your hand on the white and you will have white oxidation on your hand.

Then I'd buff this boat out using automotive products.

Try the M205 first and if this doesn't cut it go with the M105.

Try to do one step and then seal with a wax. Don't use marine grade compounds, polishes and even cleaner/waxes on paint they tend to be too aggressive.

And as I've been saying for years... start by doing a Test Spot.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
kinder car care

Thanks Mike,

Will be loading up several auto products and doing some test then. Will be taking some D151 and D157 and good ol'#7 as well and try this combo out first.

Boy do I wish I would have got the Pinnacle XMT360, The boat I'm going to be doing is in the same shape as the boat you showed the lady and gentleman in your video. How much more aggressive is xmt360 then D151

Now when I have the free time I will be reading everything on here to learn as much as possible, lot to learn on boats, thanks Mike. Any quick great Links that you've did that will give me a quick 101 on?
Old 06-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
Mike Phillips

Quote:

Boy do I wish I would have got the Pinnacle XMT360, The boat I'm going to be doing is in the same shape as the boat you showed the lady and gentleman in your video.

How much more aggressive is xmt360 then D151
XMT 360 is less aggressive than D151

I just wrote a brand new book at at the end of the book I go over one-step cleaner/waxes and explain there are 3 categories.
  1. Very light cleaning
  2. Light cleaning
  3. Medium cleaning
This is an automotive book and in the automotive world there are no such things as aggressive cleaner/waxes any longer. They exist in the boat world but not in the car world as they will scour clearcoats.

XMT 360 is in the Light Cleaning category and D151 is in the Medium Cleaning category.

Quote:

Now when I have the free time I will be reading everything on here to learn as much as possible, lot to learn on boats, thanks Mike. Any quick great Links that you've did that will give me a quick 101 on?

Read through all my write-ups here...

Pictures and Comments from Boat Detailing Projects

Best I can do at this time...

Old 06-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
kinder car care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 View Post
XMT 360 is less aggressive than D151

I just wrote a brand new book at at the end of the book I go over one-step cleaner/waxes and explain there are 3 categories.
  1. Very light cleaning
  2. Light cleaning
  3. Medium cleaning
This is an automotive book and in the automotive world there are no such things as aggressive cleaner/waxes any longer. They exist in the boat world but not in the car world as they will scour clearcoats.

XMT 360 is in the Light Cleaning category and D151 is in the Medium Cleaning category.

Read through all my write-ups here...

Pictures and Comments from Boat Detailing Projects

Best I can do at this time...

Thanks buddy, appreciate your help! just got all my stuff in except my grit guard universal pad washer but it will be here in a day or two, also your book and how to use the flex dvd with my NEW FLEX 3401!!!!

Maybe next order I will get the 3'' plate for my flex, will be picking up the extension from my local auto paint supplier.

Going to be so much better then my 7424xp/GG 3'' and Harbor Frieght 6'' DA. But they all have a big roll in my polishing
Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
Mike Phillips

Quote:

Thanks buddy, appreciate your help! just got all my stuff in except my grit guard universal pad washer but it will be here in a day or two, also your book and how to use the flex dvd with my NEW FLEX 3401!!!!

Maybe next order I will get the 3'' plate for my flex, will be picking up the extension from my local auto paint supplier.

Going to be so much better then my 7424xp/GG 3'' and Harbor Freight 6'' DA. But they all have a big roll in my polishing

You'll love the Flex, direct drive oscillation that won't stop for nothing.

You cannot put a 3" pad and an extension on the 3401. You can on the Flex PE14 but not the Flex 3401.

You can get a 4" backing plate for the Flex 3401 and use smaller pads on it and this is what I do for both boats and cars for thin panels.

New 5" pads for 4" Backing Plate on Flex 3401

New 4" and 6" Backing Plates for Flex 3401