Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Marine 31 Products - Made by boat people for boat people... » Marine 31 Product Reviews » Review Marine 31 Captains Coating and DP prep polish

Notices

Marine 31 Product Reviews Share your product reviews in this forum...

Review Marine 31 Captains Coating and DP prep polish
Old 06-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Smokinss

Default Review Marine 31 Captains Coating and DP prep polish

Hi all. This is my first post over here on the Marine 31 forums. I mainly do autos and most of my arsenal comes from Autogeek and Autopia. I do some boats and have been trying out the Marine 31 line with great success. So I was very excited to try there coating on my neighbors new boat he picked up. Its a nice looking 26ft Carolina Custom built by Lewis Brothers. Its a wood framed boat that's been glassed over then has a pretty recent AWL Grip paint job. After looking at the already nice condition of the boat I informed him about the Marine 31 Captains Coating with UV50 and he was all excited to have me apply it.

After speaking with Nick about the condition of the boat and the fact it is AWL grip he suggested that before applying the coating I use the DP coating prep polish.

I started with a quick wash using BlackFire waterless wash mixed to the 1:48 dilution. After using the BF WW I went back over it again with BF WW and a fine nanoskin mitt.

Next was the DP coating prep polish. I applied it using my 3401 and a 6in black LC pad. The polish went on super easy and only a little was needed. It wiped off clean too. A little watery so go easy when applying.

After polishing I went back over it with BlackFire coating prep spray to ensure all residue was removed. Next was applying the coating. Nick suggested that I use a nanoskin velcro hand backing plate with a 6in blue LC pad.

Only a small amount is needed to apply the coating. It goes on super easy and levels great using a microfiber rag.

Within minutes of applying the coating I was treated to a super glossy glass finish. I broke the boat into 2 days. One side each evening.

After allowing the coating to fully cure, I had to test out the water beading. Just like I was hoping for. It was great. The owner was super happy and couldn't stop staring at it!

If any boat owner is looking for maximum gloss and protection. I highly suggest looking into the Marine 31 Captains coating.
Smokinss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:39 PM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Review Marine 31 Captains Coating and DP prep polish

Hi Justin,

Awesome looking results on an very huge boat!

Thanks for taking the time to stop working, take pictures and then later share them with the rest of us....

Nice work.

p.s.

I'm a huge fan of the Nanoskin Hand Backing Pads for both applying products and hand sanding.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
Smokinss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Marine31 View Post
Hi Justin,

Awesome looking results on an very huge boat!

Thanks for taking the time to stop working, take pictures and then later share them with the rest of us....

Nice work.

p.s.

I'm a huge fan of the Nanoskin Hand Backing Pads for both applying products and hand sanding.

Thank Mike for the kind words. And a big thank you to you and Nick for answering all my questions.

P.S - The owner took it out yesterday and when he got back he couldn't believe how easy it cleaned up. I caught him out in his yard staring at it!
Smokinss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Addicted2Bling

Looks awesome.
Addicted2Bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Smokinss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addicted2Bling View Post
Looks awesome.