Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions » yamaha pwc buffing

Notices

Ask Mike Phillips your Boat Detailing Questions If you have a question about detailing your boat with Marine 31 products or about something you saw on Ship Shape TV or in a video, please post your questions in this forum.

yamaha pwc buffing
Old 04-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #1
nwatters

Question yamaha pwc buffing

Hello all,
I'm new to the forum so I will intoduce myself. My name is Nathan Watters and I have just formed a marine detailing company, however...I am new at the game so I have a lot of questions. My first question is this:
I need to make a pair of yamaha waverunner shine again. I believe they are around 2005. I am confused however if they are gelcoat or paint and thus what procedure and product I should use. Any help would be wonderful thanks!
nwatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: yamaha pwc buffing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwatters View Post
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum so I will introduce myself. My name is Nathan Watters and I have just formed a marine detailing company, however...I am new at the game so I have a lot of questions. My first question is this:
I need to make a pair of Yamaha waverunner shine again. I believe they are around 2005. I am confused however if they are gel-coat or paint and thus what procedure and product I should use. Any help would be wonderful thanks!

Hi Nathan,

Welcome to Marine31Online!

Older PWC's have gel-coat hulls and you can usually tell because the gel-coat oxidizes and stain easily as it's very porous as compared to automotive and specialty paints.

Being a 2050 if that's the original finish then it's likely gel-coat.

IF you want to be safe, (and you should be), then get a safe and easy to use product like out Marine 31 All-In_one Gel Coat Polish & Wax. This is a LIGHT cutting one-step cleaner/wax that can be used by hand or machine and any type of pad. It's safe enough to use on paint so either way you're good to go.

If after the first application there's still room for improvement just go over the Waverunner a second time.

IF the oxidation is light, stick with a 5.5" Lake Country Foam polishing pad, like you see here on a Griot's DA. These are very safe around any graphics on the hull.

For serious oxidation you might want to get a fiber pad like the THIN PFW or Purple Foamed Wool pads like you see here,

Fiber pads offer more cut than foam pads.

Any questions let me know...

Old 04-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #3
Mike Phillips

If you're going into business I'd also recommend getting a more aggressive one-step cleaner/wax like the Marine 31 Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax 16 oz.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax 32 oz.

Marine 31 Gel Coat Heavy-Cut Cleaner Wax 64 oz.

This product uses a very high-tech abrasive technology so it won't scratch and scour gel-coat or painted boats like most marine cleaner/waxes.

You always want to be safe when working on other people's boats.

Also, you want to try to stick with one-step products when you can because they safe steps and thus save time.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
nwatters

Thank you very much. I have just found out that the skis are from 2011...don't know if that makes a difference for yamaha or not. As far as machines go, should I buy a rotary buffer vs a DA? I am pretty sure that's the way I want to go. Also, I would love to attend one of your training classes, since I just missed the Last one, any idea when the next one will be?
thanks again for sharing your Expertise!
nwatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #5
Mike Phillips

Quote:

Thank you very much. I have just found out that the skis are from 2011...don't know if that makes a difference for Yamaha or not.
Not if you follow the recommendation I posted above because both our cleaner/waxes in the Marine 31 line are save for both gel-coat and painted surfaces.

Quote:

As far as machines go, should I buy a rotary buffer vs a DA?

I am pretty sure that's the way I want to go.
For buffing out your Waverunners I'd go with a Porter Cable and a good selection of pads and chemicals. You can also use the PC on all your cars and trucks.

The rotary is a powerful tool and I use these tools all the time but they will impart their own scratch pattern. Read my article here,

Holograms in gel-coat boats by Mike Phillips

Quote:

Also, I would love to attend one of your training classes, since I just missed the Last one, any idea when the next one will be?
Our next class is in August, we should have the weekend date in concrete next week. Probably be either Saturday the 15th or the 22nd.