Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Boat Detailing 101 » Waxing a 45ft boat?

Notices

Boat Detailing 101 This is a a general or catch-all forum group. If you don't know where to post it then post it here.

Waxing a 45ft boat?
Old 09-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Jeff Wagner

Default Waxing a 45ft boat?

I have a client that wants me to wax his 45ft sun dancer. Sounds good but here is the catch. He said the marina will wash it and all i have to do is wax from that rubber line up and not the hull. He said the guy before did it in about 3 hrs and he paid him $250. I am looking at this thing thinking um 2 days. He is selling it for a bigger boat and doesnt want any polishing. I took Mikes boat class and we had 20 people doing the boat so i cant gauge off that. I did a 28 ft sun dancer with another detailer in 5 hrs doing two steps(polish and coating). So is it possible for just me to wax a 45 ft boat from that line up in 3 hrs?

Feeling like he wants me to do a quickie and thats not what i do so i guess thats the hard part. Should i just run with the buffer and say thats what your paying for?

Jeff

Attached is a pic of another 45ft sun dancer to show. He only want me to wax above the black part and no interior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014_SeaRay_Sundancer_370.jpg (38.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Jeff Wagner; 09-12-2015 at 09:16 PM..
Jeff Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
Nick

Default Re: Waxing a 45ft boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wagner View Post
I have a client that wants me to wax his 45ft sun dancer. Sounds good but here is the catch. He said the marina will wash it and all i have to do is wax from that rubber line up and not the hull. He said the guy before did it in about 3 hrs and he paid him $250. I am looking at this thing thinking um 2 days. He is selling it for a bigger boat and doesnt want any polishing. I took Mikes boat class and we had 20 people doing the boat so i cant gauge off that. I did a 28 ft sun dancer with another detailer in 5 hrs doing two steps(polish and coating). So is it possible for just me to wax a 45 ft boat from that line up in 3 hrs?

Feeling like he wants me to do a quickie and thats not what i do so i guess thats the hard part. Should i just run with the buffer and say thats what your paying for?

Jeff

Attached is a pic of another 45ft sun dancer to show. He only want me to wax above the black part and no interior.
I would hit it with Marine 31 All-In-One Gel Coat Polish & Wax on your FLEX XC3401 equipped with a foam POLISHING pad. 2-3 passes over each area, then wipe it off. The great thing about this product is it can sit on the surface for a while and still be easy to remove, or you can wipe it off right away if you'd like.

Don't overthink it Jeff.

If he just wants it "waxed" then you're all set. I could easily knock that out in 3 hours, assuming like you said the boat has already been washed and is ready to go.

Sounds like easy money to me. Go for it!
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
Mike Phillips

I agree with Nick,

Keep it real simple using a one-step cleaner/wax and the Flex 3401.

Don't do show boat work, just slop and glop work.

I do think you're quality of work is too good for this type of work at this price so it comes down to you and if you want the job. I know it's hard for perfectionist to not give it their best.

If it might help you to get more and better marine detailing jobs that's an extra aspect to the job that might make it worth it to you.

Rememberer I also teach cherry picking, that is put your focus on customers willing to pay more for higher quality work and let someone else have the less profitable jobs.

Also, you need to see the boat first. You want to see whether if the inside of the boat is condition #1, #2, #3 or #4.

#1 = New like new
#2 = Light oxidation
#3 = Medium oxidation
#4 = Severe oxidation

You also want to gauge how much non-skid there might be. The more non-skid the lest surface to wax. Also, vinyl seating. More seating, less waxing.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:14 PM   #4
Jeff Wagner

You guys are great! Thank you! I was looking at the size of this monster thinking omg its going to take me forever. Nick i was happy to see your response and i am going to put a tape line about every one third knowing i need to get to each line in one hr. That way i wont end up working for 10 hrs. Mike you hit the nail on the head as always. Being a perfectionist at everything you try to do is a curse sometimes. I looked at it and its about a 2 very light oxidation. It was in pretty good shape at a glance and maybe i can talk him into a coating for the 65 footer after he sells this one. Its booked for tomorrow and i will take some pics for sure. Bringing my sunscreen also!
Jeff Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Mike Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wagner View Post

Its booked for tomorrow and i will take some pics for sure.

Bringing my sunscreen also!

Can't wait to hear how this project turns out!