Marine31 Online Forum
Welcome to the Marine 31 Forum.
Header

Marine 31 Forum » Boat Detailing » Oxidation Removal - Exterior Gel-Coat and Hull Detailing » Don't know what to go by

Notices

Oxidation Removal - Exterior Gel-Coat and Hull Detailing One of the major areas of boat detailing is the restoration, maintenance and preservation of your goat's gel-coat hull.

Don't know what to go by
Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
kinder car care

Default Don't know what to go by

Using my 3401 flex on speed 6, pink CCS 6.5 light cutting pad, Marine 31 Heavy Cut oxidation Cleaner, then switching over to a 6.5 CCS green polishing pad and AIO Gel Coat polish and wax

Went over this area about 3 section passes with each product, more or less as a test spot and to see basically what would happen. I really don't know what to expect, before there was no shine and it's badly oxidized. After I'm starting to get a little gloss but this is going to be a slow process isn't it. I might try my rotary with my pink light cutting pad today with the same technique as I did with my flex to see if there's any difference.

I know these aren't the best pics but this was last night at around 8:00 and very cloudy out.
BEFORE

AFTER

Here's my problem, already polished the painted strips but the bottom gel coat as you can see is pretty bad, and is stained at the bottom left.

This pic show's I removed the stain and made very little improvement on any gloss what so ever. In your guys opinion is this badly oxidized gel coat or is my technique wrong or do I need the power of the rotary and to go over it more times?

And this pic is from an angle just off the boat and it is starting to make some slight improvement with somewhat of a gloos of my Marine 31 bottle. I stopped just before the curve so I thought this would show a 50/50 shot of what I'm working with.

I'm expecting alot more gloss then this, but maybe it's just were it's so late and low light and cloudy. I'm out of my comfort zone if you will, No high powered lights like in my garage and Gel Coat is a different breed then paint.

Just need a little guidence or thoughts of what I'm doing wrong or should be doing. This is what I was feeling like last night! LOL!! Have a buddy that was helping me out alot by texting and a call which really helped some of more important things I should have done and will do in the future but would like your opinion if my process is right with these products?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Mike Phillips

Default Re: Don't know what to go by

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinder car care View Post

Went over this area about 3 section passes with each product, more or less as a test spot and to see basically what would happen.

I really don't know what to expect, before there was no shine and it's badly oxidized.

After I'm starting to get a little gloss but this is going to be a slow process isn't it.

With foam pads "yes" it's going to be a lot slower than using a wool pad on a rotary buffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinder car care View Post

I might try my rotary with my pink light cutting pad today with the same technique as I did with my flex to see if there's any difference.
Try the pink foam pad because it's good experience and then try a wool cutting pad.

Gel-coats like wool pads on rotary buffers when you're trying to cut off the dead, oxidized gel-coat and restore a high gloss finish.